SWOT Analysis of Cimarex Energy with USP, Competition, STP (Segmentation, Targeting, Positioning) - Marketing Analysis
Cimarex Energy Co.
Oil and Gas
One of the most prominent oil companies in the region
Enterprises with energy requirements
Entities which require oil and natural gas
A Denver-based independent oil and gas exploration and production company with principal operations in the Mid-Continent and Permian Basin areas of the U.S
1. Its well structured operations of exploration and development in the Mid-Continent region (Oklahoma, the Texas Panhandle, and southwest Kansas), Permian Basin(west Texas and southeast New Mexico) and the Gulf Coast(southeast Texas) is a source of its business success 2. Its successful drilling programs have resulted in its continuously increasing production volumes and high completion rates . 3. It owns about 140,000 net acres of acreage area in the Cana-Woodford shale Play, thereby allowing it multiple years of drilling opportunity and thus imparting a competitive advantage 4.The company’s production averaged 620+ MMcfe per day, comprising 300+ million cubic feet (MMcf) of gas per day and 43,000+ barrels of oil per day, which has given it consistently good returns 5. It had a larger market cap than the lower end of the S&P 500 companies
1. Its product marketability depends on the availability, proximity and capacity of 3rd party pipeline systems whose lack of availability can severely affect its own business prospects 2. Federal and state regulation of oil and natural gas production and transportation can adversely affect its operations 3. Concentration of company’s operations in only certain regions of the US not only increases its exposure to local factors but also deprives the company of higher revenues from high growth markets in countries outside the US
1. It has a strong land position in the Mid-Continent and Permian basin with a large horizontal oil-drilling inventory, which holds immense potential to contribute to its revenues 2. Increased investments in its own operating regions especially the Permian Basin and Cana –Woodford shale plays can further increase its growth opportunities 3. Its focus on increasing its own liquid portfolio, coupled with a rising demand for liquid fuels in the US, will help improve its overall revenues and financial performance
1. Volatile fluctuations in the price of oil and gas and its demand in the global market can hamper its sales, in turn affecting the amount it has to explore and drill its existing resource base 2. Stringent government regulations pertaining to oil and gas production and transportation can adversely affect its operations and as a result, its financial health as a whole 3. It is subject to several environmental regulations including the climate change legislations or regulations that restrict the emission of greenhouse gases which could potentially impact the demand for oil and gas products have an adverse effect on the company’s operations and financial results
1. PetroQuest Energy Inc. 2. SM Energy Company 3. Quicksilver Resources Inc. 4. Abraxas petroleum Corporation
The brandnames and other brand information used in the brandguide section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBASkool in any way. The brand names are used purely for educational/academic purpose only. Utmost Care has been taken in the analysis of the brands. However, if you find any ambiguity kindly help us improve.