SWOT Analysis of Sempra Energy with USP, Competition, STP (Segmentation, Targeting, Positioning) - Marketing Analysis
Natural Gas Utilities
For every day life
The largest natural gas utility in the United States in terms of coverage area and population served
Enterprises and individuals with energy requirements
Entities which require natural gas and electricity
An energy service holding company, supplying electricity and natural gas to a diverse range of customers and one of the largest natural gas distribution utilities in the US
1. Sempra’s subsidiary in the US, SDG&E has a strong performance, currently serving 3.5+ million consumers which boosts its segmental revenue and thereby increase the business’ contribution to the top-line of the company as well 2. Sempra has a diversified business portfolio: natural gas distribution, electric generation and distribution, pipelines and storage for LNG, and the LNG receipt terminals operated by its different subsidiaries which reduces risk and thereby a steady stream of revenues is ensured in spite of market fluctuations 3. Its dispersed operations via its subsidiaries as SoCalGas, Sempra South American Utilities, Sempra Mexico, Sempra Natural Gas, and Sempra Renewables together contribute to a high revenue gain for the company 4. It has a substantial customer base (over 30+ million) in the US, Mexico and South America 5. It has a strong operational base in more thaan one country, alongwith an employee base of nearly 17,000
1. Its heavy reliance on the domestic natural gas market for revenue generation makes the company vulnerable to region specific changes in the US 2. Sempra is a holding company with no significant operations of its own. Accordingly, the primary sources of funds for Sempra to pay dividends to its shareowners and meet its debt obligations depend on cash flows from its subsidiaries 3. Numerous lawsuits and litigation cases, in which Sempra and its subsidiaries are defendants, may affect Sempra’s operations, financial condition, and cash flows
1. Its foray into renewable wind energy projects (eg. Energia Sierra Juarez wind project, contracts with Manzana Wind and Mount Signal solar projects will help leverage its strong clean power generation assets to derive a cost advantage and improve its brand image 2. Increasing demand for electricity in the US will help the company boost its sales and strengthen its financial base 3. Increasing demand for natural gas in the US (coupled with growing shale gas production) provides an opportunity to the company to scale-up its sales, as it is a major distributor of natural gas in the US
1. Intense competition with other market players, which have greater financial resources, credit access, geographical reach can erode its market reach
2. Its operations are subject to extensive federal, state and local environmental regulatory requirements, which can increase its compliance costs and impact its profit margins adversely
3. Its electricity and gas businesses are seasonal and dependent on weather conditions in the service areas and as such, fluctuations in weather could significantly impact the operating results in turn affecting the company's operations and financial condition 4. It has ownership interest in SONGS, a 2150 MW nuclear generating facility operated by Southern California Edison Company and such is subject to the potential risks arising out of it
1. Dominion Resources Inc. 2. El Paso Corporation 3. Spectra Energy Corporation 4. Southern Union Company
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Sempra Energy. The BrandGuide section covers SWOT Analysis, USP, STP & Competition of more than 6000 brands from over 20 categories.
The brand names and other brand information used in the BrandGuide section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBASkool in any way. The brand names are used purely for educational/academic purpose only. Utmost care has been taken in the analysis of the brands. However, if you find any ambiguity kindly help us improve.