SWOT Analysis of Coles Group with USP, Competition, STP (Segmentation, Targeting, Positioning) - Marketing Analysis
Quality food costs less at Coles
The most advanced yet affordable Australian supermarket chain which is ‘Helping Australia Grow’
Retail and Departmental Stores
Middle class and premium Australian households
The retail store that helps you fulfill your daily needs and at the same time helps you save
1. They command the lion's share of the domestic food and liquor market due to their long history in Australia
2. Unmatched advertising and branding in the Australian retail space. Uses patriotic slogans like ‘Proudly Australian since 1914’ (introduced with its TV sponsorship of the 2008 Summer Olympics), along with slogans specifically framed for price conscious buyers
3. Very attractive pricing strategies with frequent price cuts & promotional offers from time to time
4. Immensely successful promotional campaigns: eg in conjunction with Apple Computer and 12 other major suppliers, a campaign titled "Apples for Students”
5. Different levels of generic brands that intend to cater to a specific type of buyer.
6.Impressive online order and delivery/pickup service
1. Negative publicity surrounding hard-line negotiation with Australian suppliers has marginally hurt the public sentiment towards Coles. Might hurt investments
2. Compared to competition such as Woolworths, Coles operates on lower margins
1. To seize greater control of the supply chain to funnel the produce and harvest profit at multiple point
2. Geographic expansion can help reach out to newer regions globally
3. Sponsorship and marketing exercises can help boost business
1. Intense competition in the supermarket space has led to food prices plummeting to dangerously low margins
2. Consumers getting confused between the different generic brands due to lack of a clear distinctive communication for each
3. Due to convenience , a percentage of the buyers might opt for independents and the smaller retailers (such as green grocers and butchers)
4. The Australian food and liquor market is constantly evolving as competitors enter with game-changing business models and ideas
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Coles Group. The BrandGuide section covers SWOT Analysis, USP, STP & Competition of more than 6000 brands from over 20 categories.
The brand names and other brand information used in the BrandGuide section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBASkool in any way. The brand names are used purely for educational/academic purpose only. Utmost care has been taken in the analysis of the brands. However, if you find any ambiguity kindly help us improve.