Posted in Human Resources Articles, Total Reads: 3785
, Published on 16 August 2011
Career includes all kind of employment along with skills required for skill/professional development. Career for an individual is a summation of all the skills and employment opportunities attained to plan a successful career which includes attainment of personal career objectives along with a healthy personal life.
Career Management includes identification of the short, medium and long term objectives of an individual.
1. Short term goals which are for one or two years focus on limited scope and are easy to achieve. These should align to your ling term goals. This is generally not a skill enhancement level.
2. Intermediate goals are generally for three to five years which often includes some form of skill enhancement for the next level. They are partially open ended.
3. Long term goals are open ended and it is a summation of various intermediate and short term goals. These are generally counted with a timeframe of five to seven years.
Career planning is a lifelong process, which includes choosing an occupation, getting a job, growing in our job, possibly changing careers, and eventually retiring.
• Career planning includes identifying self Interests, values, roles, skills/aptitudes which are important because career is defined by you and not the other way round.
• After identifying the personal aspects, one should explore the occupations in which you are interested then research the industries in which you would like to work and finally review the labour market in that industry.
• Matching the opportunities with possible occupations, evaluating these occupations and explore alternatives are the next step in Choosing both a short term and a long term options.
For a successful career plan you should have a clear understanding of your personal and professional interests, values, attitudes, skills, behaviors, etc. A successful career path makes the necessary adjustments to keep your work goals in balance with these other important areas of your life.
About the Author : Partha Sinha is currently studying PGDM at Apeejay Institute of Technology-School of management. A painter who writes too, Loves to play with data.