Posted in Internship Experience Stories, Total Reads: 666
Name: Pratik Gauri
College: IIFT, Delhi
MBA Batch: 2016
Summer Internship Industry: FMCG
Location: Gurgaon, India
Profile: Summer Intern, Marketing
Brief Project Description & Responsibilities:
Description: Design a sustainable ISP (In Store Program), World’s no. 1 foot care brand
Responsibilities: 1. Understand the foot care category and consumer challenges in Modern Trade
2. Develop a robust ISP plan to launch the product in stores
3. Recruit and Train Promoters
4. Ensure increase in off-takes
What was the overview of the project? Elaborate with some details
I was given a live project in which I had to conceptualise and launch an In Store Promotion(ISP) program for Scholl and make the model sustainable.
I had to identify the leaky buckets in the current ISP and modify it to make it sustainable. I changed the model and made it a profit-making model. This boosted the off-takes and at the end of 2 months, I was able to make the model sustainable.
Share your daily routine & overall summer internship experience.
9 am: Report to Brand Manager who was my project guide
I used to work on correcting the ISP model by coordinating with the agency we were working with and the modern trade team of RB.
Lunch from 1pm-2pm. We used to have Lunch and Learn sessions in which we used to gain insights into RB and FMCG industry from big shots of RB. These sessions used to happen once a week.
In the evenings, I used to do market visits in Modern Trade outlets to gain an understanding of how the product is selling and what modifications need to be made.
The day used to end at 7pm.
Overall, the experience was very good. RB has amazing people and an amazing work culture.
How was the selection process conducted?
Selection Process involved 2 interviews:
1. HR interview: Questions like WHY FMCG? Strengths and Weaknesses etc.
2. Technical Interview: Questions related to Marketing and CV.
What were your key learnings from the summer internship?
1. Practical understanding of the market is very necessary to identify the right TG while working in an FMCG in the Marketing domain. This can only be attained through market visits.
2. You don’t need to do everything yourself. One should be good in getting things done from others. We, being managers, are required to be clear on the goal. How it needs to be done is done through external sources(agencies).
3. Sales and Marketing are inter-linked. So one can’t just do Marketing without Sales. One needs to be proficient in both to be a good Brand manager in an FMCG.
Three tips would you give to your juniors
1. Internship is all about Learning. So learn as much as you can in these 2 months. Make the most of it as the learning is immense.
2. Choose your domain of Internship judiciously. There is no point doing an internship in Finance if you want to do Marketing. Internship is fun if you enjoy it. That will only be possible if it’s of the domain you like.
3. There will be a lot of challenges during the internship- far more than you face in your college life. Be ready to push yourselves to the limit as the effort you put in these 2 months would immensely benefit you in your career ahead.