Posted in Internship Experience Stories, Total Reads: 1324
Name: Surashree Rahane
College: Faculty of Management Studies, Delhi
MBA Batch: 2014-2016
Summer Internship Industry: FMCG
Location: Gurgaon, India
What was the overview of the project? Elaborate with some details
I was working on a live campaign and was leading the strategy and execution of content on digital platforms which mainly included Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google, Native platforms and direct mailers. I was connected to all the stakeholders, agencies involved in making the campaign a success and was given the liberty to call and follow-up on any upcoming or pending issues from any stakeholder.
Share your daily routine & overall summer internship experience.
The campaign had already begun a month before I joined the organization. It was on its peak and every task associated with its digital strategy needed my personal attention. My day started by following up on previous day’s pending tasks and reviewing content that had to go online the same day. I used to read a lot about other similar successful campaigns suggest and implement changes related to the same. I was positioned on the marketing floor of the company which was full of energy. Everyone including my guide and mentor were very accessible and the interns could walk into anyone’s cabin in case of doubts.
How was the selection process conducted?
Students were selected based on their CV for the group discussion round. Every GD group had 10 members. Students were selected on the basis of the GD for the final interview which lasted for approximately 45 minutes.
What were your key learnings from the summer internship?
Overall learnings on digital platforms- Brands must:
• Follow the ‘Listen and Engage Module’ of social media
• Converse naturally rather than in a marketing tonality
• Engage on visual content
• Make content that users want to engage with
• Must be more tolerant and bias-free
Project related learings:
• Stringent deadline and multiple reviews has improved my attention to details and punctuality
• Understood various platform analytics like bounce rate and KPIs like cost per click (CPC) and click through rate (CTR)
• Facebook appreciates less frequent and more valuable updates that offer exclusive offers and good content
• All our websites must be mobile friendly as more than 50% of digital engagement happens on smartphones
• Native articles should be weaved through as generic & topical talking points
• Twitter is like an open chat platform where conversations happen and thus it has more content. It can be used to know real time news using trends
Three tips would you give to your juniors
• It is very important for a MBA student to do an internship as it gives a sneak peak of how the corporate world and their leaders work. Many stakeholders and things go behind making a single job successful.
• Always consider yourself and work as a team member rather than a junior or an intern in the office to make your project a success. It includes taking responsibilities and accepting mistakes too.
• Be open to learning and sharing knowledge. Don’t just consider your project scope but try to learn above and beyond that, without compromising your tasks.