Petróleos de Venezuela, S.A. (PDVSA) is the Venezuelan state owned and a natural gas company.
Image: company website
It has dominated the oil industry of Venezuela since its foundation in January 1976. It is the world’s fifth largest oil exporter. The Venezuelan State is the sole stockholder of PDVSA under the provisions of the Constitution of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela. It represents the economic and political sovereignty exerted by the Venezuelan people over oil, which is their major energy resource. Venezuela’s oil sector generates 95 percent of the country’s foreign currency. The fundamental values and mission of PDVSA involve working towards creating quality jobs, economic growth for welfare of country and having a transparent and clear way of working. PDVSA also operates in the United States, Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean countries where it mainly has its marketing and refining part. Social development initiatives at PDVSA align with those of the state. They promote FONDESPA (The Fund for Social and Economic Development within the Country), which promotes social development through clean and fair distribution of oil revenues. The recent collapse in oil prices is making it harder for the country like Venezuela to attract foreign investment as they pursue a target of boosting production to as much as 6 million barrels a day by the year 2019. PDVSA is the third-largest company in Latin America, according to the ranking of the region's top 500 companies from Latin Business Chronicle.
Eulogio Del Pino, as President, currently heads PDVA.
(All in billion USD)
Market Cap: 218.196
1. The top companies of South America are filtered according to their revenue. The companies with revenue more the USD 25bn are selected.
2. Their profits and market capitalization is selected as other two parameters.
3. Since petrochemicals and crude oil companies mainly dominate South America, the soul criteria of ranking were revenue only.
4. Mean and Standard deviation for every parameter is calculated.
5. Then normalized value is calculated for every column with formula:
Normalize value = (X- mean)/Standard Deviation
6. Similar values are calculated for all three parameters.
7. A generalized rating is calculated giving equal weightage to all 3 normalized scores (say a, b, c) and its formula is = (x1 * a + x2* b + x3*c)/(x1 + x2+x3)
8. The list is sorted in descending order and top 10 companies are selected.