Top 10 Public Sector (PSU) Companies in India 2015
Posted in Top Brand Lists, Total Reads: 21259
5. Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited
Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited is a telecommunications service provider in the metropolitan cities of New Delhi and Mumbai and Mauritius.
Image: company website
It was founded in 1986 with its headquarters located in New Delhi. It is 100% government owned and till 1992 it had monopoly in the cities of Mumbai and New Delhi.
The product offerings of MTNL include fixed line telephones and WLL services and mobile services on CDMA and GSM platforms. The vatious brands of MTNL include:
• Dolphin: A postpaid GSM service which provides value added services such as 3G
• Trump: A prepaid GSM service
• Garuda: A WLL service which provides an FW tariff and a mobile tariff
As compared to the past, the efficiency of MTNL has vastly improved owing to the emergence of several private players. MTNL had started providing 3G services in India under the brand name MTNL 3G Jadoo. The services that are offered by it are video calling, mobile TV and mobile broadband with high speed data. MTNL had rolled out the first 3G enabled BlackBerry Bold smart phones.
MTNL is the largest ISP in Mumbai and Delhi and the third largest in India. Through dialup and DSL, MTNL provides TriBand internet services. It provides features such as games on demand, video on demand and IPTV services through TriBand which is targeted at homes and small businesses. MTNL came up with a subsidiary called Mahanagar Telephone Mauritius Limited in Mauritius providing mobile and international long distance services. It has started its ILD and CDMA based services in Mauritius.
MTNL has also entered into joint ventures such as:
• MTNL-SPTI IT Services Limited: It is a 50:50 JV between Software Technology Parks of India and Mahanagar telephone Nigam Limited
• Millenium Telecom Limited: It is a JV between MTNL and BSNL with each having a 50% equity stake