Naspers is a multinational media and internet group, with services in 130 countries.
Image: company site
It owns stake in multiple e-commerce companies like GoIbibo, Olx, Flipkart apart from other such global companies. Since 1994 it has been listed in Johannesburg Stock Exchange.
Naspers was founded in 1915 as newspaper and magazine printing firm National Press. In 1918 it added book publishing to its portfolio. The next phase of expansion came in 1985, when it launched its pay TV services, M-Net. The name Naspers was adopted in 1998. Since then it has expanded to businesses functioning on internet and mobile platforms. The best performing segment for Naspers is the e-commerce segment, giving a 103% growth in revenue in the last fiscal.
Naspers is primarily into 3 businesses:
• Internet: It comprises the C2C and B2C e-commerce platforms Nasper owns globally and the listed investments viz. Tencent and Mail.ru. This business accounts for nearly 60% of the total revenues. Its investment in the Chinese holdings company, Tencent has fuelled growth in its stock prices which has grown by more than 500% in the last 5 years.
• Video entertainment: This encompasses the DTH, DTT, online and mobile services. It also develops content protection and access management technologies.
• Printing: The segment comprises newspapers, magazines, digital media, book publishing business and e-commerce ventures in South Africa.
Going ahead the strategic focus points are:
• Become more scalable as an operator and maintain above-market growth rates while improving profitability.
• Strategic investments on emerging platforms and on successful entrepreneurs in growth markets.
• Over the medium term, expanding in e-commerce and video entertainment through organic growth and strategic acquisitions