MTN is a multinational mobile telecom company with headquarters in Johannesburg, South Africa.
It runs its operations in 21 countries across Africa and Middle East. It was launched in 1994 and presently has 208 million subscribers. MTN Limited is the holding company for a number of wholly owned subsidiaries broadly divided into MTN South Africa, Service Provider, Business Solutions and MTN International. MTN International has wholly owned subsidiaries, minority and controlling stake in numerous telecom companies across the globe.
The plethora of products and services of MTN group can be grouped into the following 3 categories:
• Voice and Data: Apart from telephony services, MTN also provides virtual wallet services under MTN Money.
• Business services: This category provides cloud services, online & network infrastructure for businesses. It also provides telephony and network protection software.
• Digital Lifestyle: This category encompasses the value adding services viz. MTN Play and MTN Football
There are 5 strategic themes which MTN is focussing on:
• Drive sustainable growth: Increasing data revenue by leveraging increased smartphone penetration, bundled services and improved technology.
• Create and manage stakeholder value: Increasing shareholder returns between 5%-15% each year and strategic share buyback.
• Creating a distinct customer experience: Increasing 3G and LTE coverage and improving network quality and capacity by increasing capex on infrastructure.
• Transforming the operating model: ‘Project Next!’ – a project started to migrate back office functions to Shared Services Hub in 3 markets by the end of 2015. Commercialisation of MTN’s tower infrastructure and streamlining costs across distribution network are the other facets of this theme.
• Innovation and incorporating best practices: Focus is on agile operations, efficient go-to-market capabilities and maintaining competitive advantage.