Top 10 Car (Automobile) Companies in India 2017

Posted in Top Brand Lists, Total Reads: 1607
Advertisements

1. Maruti Suzuki

Maruti Udyog Limited, with corporate headquarters at New Delhi, was registered and established in the year 1981, but started out in the year 1982 in Gurgaon, Haryana.


Image: company website

It underwent a Joint Venture with Suzuki Motor Corporation in the same year thereby forming Maruti Suzuki India Limited. It initially had a 74% stake owned by the Indian government and the rest 26% owned by Suzuki Motors.

Advertisements

But by May 2007, the government of India sold its complete share to Indian financial institutions. Today, it stands at a 54.2%-owned subsidiary of the Japanese automobile and motorcycle manufacturer. It is a listed company with listings on the NSE and BSE. In terms of market share, it is the leader in the Indian landscape which has close to 50% of the 4-wheeler market in India. Some of its popular models include the Ciaz, Ertiga, Wagon R, Alto, Swift, Celerio, Swift Dzire and Omni.

The company started with the best selling model, Maruti 800 (a highly affordable car), which was based the compact and light design of Alto, hallmark model of Suzuki. With competitors as the Hindustan Ambassador and the Premier Padmini, it was the first modern looking car in India. Many famous oldies like Maruti Zen, Omni, Maruti 800, etc have been a path breaker of the Maruti Suzuki alliance which gained advantage of both ever increasing globalization and economic liberalization of that era. It faced little competition from others, because luxury brands haven’t still entered India and the common Indian also could not afford them. Maruti 800 suited well the requirements and pride of a striving modern Indian commoner. Right from inception, Maruti brought to India, a very simple yet powerful Japanese philosophy of cars being 'smaller, lighter, shorter and neater'. The same characteristics make their cars extremely relevant to the Indian customers, the Indian conditions of roads and the Indian way of living, i.e. spending less and saving more.  Product quality, safety and cost consciousness are deeply embedded into their manufacturing process, which they have inherited from their parent company, Suzuki motors.

Maruti had an image attached with itself of selling affordable and mileage cars, so to change its image, in 2015; it launched a completely different dealership network, NEXA to sell its premium models like S-Cross, Ciaz, Baleno and Ignis.  Today, the company has 1,800+ sales outlets spread across a thousand Indian cities and it aims to double its sales network to 4,000 showrooms. It has the largest penetration in the Indian market. It believes in training its local sales and service force to the Japanese standards of highest quality in minimum possible time.  They believe in their customer’s delight and ever increasing their shareholders’ wealth. With a high belief in good corporate governance, they are committed to making cars that have great performance, high efficiency, low cost of ownership and does minimal damage to the environment, all because of their creating value through innovation, quality, creativity and extensive partnerships at each end.

Number of cars sold: 1568603

Market Share: 47.3%


Ranking Methodology:

1. The leading car companies present in India were taken

2. Parameters like number of units sold, market share in India are taken

3. Based on units sold and market share the final ranks of car companies in India is taken



Looking for Similar Lists, Browse more Top Lists

Share this Page on: