Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 26, 2020
SWOT analysis of Unum analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Unum SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Unum to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Unum is one of the leading brands in the banking & financial services sector.
The article below lists the Unum SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Unum SWOT Analysis:
For Unum, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Unum looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Unum :
1. The company has a strong financial position in the current market
2. Amongst its competitors it holds a stronger position in the industry
3. It has high returns on investment and has an attractive business portfolio 4. A broad portfolio of products including accident, critical illness and life insurance along with underwriting business
5. A very strong domestic presence in the US & UK market with it being top disability insurer in both the countries
6. It has approx. 10,000 employees across 38 cities of US
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Unum SWOT Analysis:
1. After lowering the costs of its services, the efficiency level has also decreased 2. Although it has a dominant position in UK market, it has a very weak international presence overall
3. Previous litigations have lent a negative image to the company
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Unum SWOT Analysis:
1. It needs to tap the international markets to gain more revenues and market share
2. With market for aged people increasing, the company can increase its revenue stream from these new customers 3. Total number of uninsured stand at 42 million, thus potential exists for penetration in the existing markets itself
4. More investment in research and development will help in creating newer products which can serve new customers
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Unum are as mentioned:
1. There is a strong competition in the insurance market
2. Rise in the number of insurance frauds, means the number of losses it would have to bear will increase 3. Entry of newer players in the market has a negative impact on the financials of the company
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 3 competitors of Unum:
1. UnitedHealth Group, Inc. 2. Prudential Financial, Inc. 3. Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association
A company that believes in building relationships with customers
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Unum. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute