Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 26, 2020
SWOT analysis of M&T Bank analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In M&T Bank SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like M&T Bank to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. M&T Bank is one of the leading brands in the banking & financial services sector.
The table below lists the M&T Bank SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats), top M&T Bank competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & Unique Selling Proposition (USP).
In addition to providing banking services, it focuses on ways to make a difference for the environment
M&T Bank STP
Segments the market based on type: Personal banking and commercial banking
Targets the commercial banking segment
One of the companies in the S&P 500 stock index
SWOT Analysis of M&T Bank
M&T Bank Strengths
Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of M&T Bank:
1. Net income and earnings per share are increasing due to consistent financial performance
2. M&T Bank Corporation is one of the 20 largest independent bank holding companies in the US, with a wide prevalence in the domestic market with the presence of over 750 branches.
3. M&T's product portfolio includes a wide variety of financial products and services. The portfolio of services includes retail banking, commercial banking, and mortgage banking. 4. In addition to this it also provides real estate loans, insurance and mutual funds to name a few.
5. Company’s strengthening capital position provides sustainance against market volatility
6. The company has over 15000 people in its workforce and has gained strength from significant acquisitions
M&T Bank Weaknesses
Here are the weaknesses in the M&T Bank SWOT Analysis:
1. M&T’s earning assets as a percentage of total assets have been declining which is a concern
2. As they own almost a lot of their buildings instead of taking them on lease, they increase the net accumulated depreciation in their books.
3. There are various legal cases pending against the M&T and its subsidiaries which might adversely affect the brand value.
M&T Bank Opportunities
Following are the Opportunities in M&T Bank SWOT Analysis:
1. M&T acquired the venerable Wilmington Trust Corporation and giving it the leading market share in Delaware. This trust can be effectively managed by providing services to financially sound individuals.
2. Owing to its large presence in the Southeastern and Midwest regions of the US, it has a decent prospect to consolidate its position in the region.
3. Robust Canadian economy and M&T’s long ties with the Canadian companies operating in the US would add advantage to improve its base in Canada.
M&T Bank Threats
The threats in the SWOT Analysis of M&T Bank are as mentioned:
1. Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) insurance premiums have increased significantly since the start of the financial crisis and it has decreased the margins of M&T Bank.
2. As a result of the Dodd-F rank Act, the capital standards have evolved in the banking industry and it could limit the group’s activities.
3. As a lender, it is exposed to credit risk as deteriorating credit quality would adversely affect it.
M&T Bank Competition
M&T Bank Competitors
Below are the top 3 competitors of M&T Bank:
1. HSBC Bank
2. International Bancshares Corporation
3. Fulton Financial Corporation
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Similar analysis has also been done for the competitors of the company belonging to the same category, sector or industry. Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to M&T Bank. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute