Santander UK SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of Santander UK, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Santander UK to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors, and make strategic improvements. Santander UK is one of the leading brands in the banking & financial services sector.
The article below lists the Santander UK SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Santander UK SWOT Analysis:
In this article:
For Santander UK, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Santander UK looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Santander UK :
1. One of the largest bank in UK in terms of deposits held and largest in terms of mortgages held and fourth largest in terms of branches operated.
2. A wide customer base of over 25 million customers served by over 25000 employees of the bank.
3. The banks “123” product range was ranked third best in UK
4. The bank caters to a wide range of customers including individuals, businessmen, and corporate. It provides wide range of services including current accounts, mortgages, credit products, insurance and savings and investments.
5. The bank provides online banking services, including mobile app and a internet-only banking division called Cahoot.
6. The bank is a member of the Financial Services Compensation Scheme, UK Payments Administration, Bankers' Automated Clearing Services (BACS), the Faster Payments Service, the Clearing House Automated Payment System (CHAPS), the Cheque and Credit Clearing Company and the British Bankers' Association.
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Santander UK SWOT Analysis:
1. The bank has been frequently ranked as the worst bank in terms of customer service. It was ranked as worst bank for customer service in the J. D. Power UK Retail Banking Satisfaction Study
2.Rating agency Moody’s had downgraded the bank’s credit ratings due to financial weakness.
3. The bank has more than one banks in a single street in many locations in UK. This was a result of various mergers and acquisitions that the bank underwent.
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Santander UK SWOT Analysis:
1. The bank should work towards improving its customer service. This can help retain existing customers and also grow in the future.
2. The bank can reduce redundant branches and divert those resources towards opening new branches or improving services in existing branches.
3. The bank can attract more customers by introducing innovative schemes such as the 123 product range.
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Santander UK are as mentioned:
1. The bank is exposed to interest rate risk, that is the bank can face asset-liability mismatch if the interest rates move against it.
2. The bank can face financial hardship if the economic outlook is weak.
3. The bank can be affected adversely by the exchange rate volatility that it faces.
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 3 competitors of Santander UK:
2.Lloyds Banking Group
Hence this concludes the Santander UK SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
|Santander UK Overview|
Banking and Financial Services
Large customer base and reach through large number of branches.
|Santander UK STP|
British homeowners, savers and corporate
British individuals, businessmen, and corporate
A bank which is one of the leading providers of personal financial services.
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Santander UK. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us