Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 12, 2020
SWOT analysis of Talisman Energy analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Talisman Energy SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Talisman Energy to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Talisman Energy is one of the leading brands in the energy & power sector.
The article below lists the Talisman Energy SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Talisman Energy SWOT Analysis:
For Talisman Energy, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
Talisman Energy Strengths
The strengths of Talisman Energy looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Talisman Energy :
1. Talisman Energy has significant upstream operations of exploration; development, production, transportation and marketing of crude oil, which helps it, gain a competitive edge 2. It has a diversified geographical presence (in North America, the North Sea, Southeast Asia, Australia, and North Africa), thereby reducing its business risks arising in a particular geography 3. It has an employee base of 3000 people 4. It has significant position as regards owning Shale Gas resources in the US, which is an upcoming boom sector in unconventional natural gas source
5. It is one of the largest energy companies in Canada
Talisman Energy Weaknesses
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Talisman Energy SWOT Analysis:
1. It is dependent on third party operators for operating some of the assets in which it has interests which could adversely affect the its financial performance 2. It has limited scale to compete with large players in the industry, which are much larger in terms of revenue generated, employees, and presence in international markets
Talisman Energy Opportunities
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Talisman Energy SWOT Analysis:
1. It has announced a number of new oil and gas projects, with an increase in capital expenditure plans, funded by cash provided through operating activities, proceed from expected asset sales and its own balance sheet strength 2. Joint venture with Mitsubishi Corporation, Sinopec and other agreements (namely with PETRONAS, and Kurdistan regional government) to expand its operations and deepen its international exploration portfolio will provide Talisman additional growth opportunities and drive its revenue growth 3. Divestiture of non-core assets in British Columbia, Peru and Poland in order to focus on its assets which offer highest returns, and growth potential will help it focus on its core business and strengthen its market position
Talisman Energy Threats
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Talisman Energy are as mentioned:
1. Fluctuations in crude oil or natural gas prices have a material adverse effect on its operations and financial condition, the value of its oil and natural gas reserves, and its level of spending for oil and gas exploration and development 2. Intense competition from other market players, which are larger in terms of revenue and presence, can make Talisman lose its market share 3. Operational hazards could result in personal injury or loss of life, damage or destruction of properties, environmental damage, cost of remedying such conditions or incidents, regulatory investigations and penalties, and liability to third parties, thus increasing its operating costs and reducing its profitability 4. Stringent governmental laws and environmental regulations could have an adverse effect on Talisman's business by increasing costs, impacting development schedules, reducing revenue and cash flow from natural gas and oil sales, reducing Talisman's liquidity.
Talisman Energy Competitors
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 4 competitors of Talisman Energy:
1. BP Plc. 2. ExxonMobil Corporation 3. Petro-Canada 4. Cairn Energy Plc.
Hence this concludes the Talisman Energy SWOT analysis.
Entities which require crude oil, natural gas and natural gas liquids
Canada’s largest independent oil and gas company
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Talisman Energy. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute