RPM Inc SWOT Analysis, Competitors & USP

Posted in Industrial Products and Chemicals, Total Reads: 2673

SWOT analysis of RPM Inc analyses the brand/company with its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. RPM Inc is one of the leading brands in the industrial products and chemicals sector. The table below also lists the top RPM Inc competitors and elaborates RPM Inc segmentation, targeting, positioning & USP.


Parent Company

RPM International Inc.


Paint Industry


Industrial Products and Chemicals

Tagline/ Slogan

A world leader in Specialty Coatings and Sealants


Combining the strength of Multi-Million Dollar company with the agility of smaller-operating units to serve the customers better than anyone else.



Industrial Segments; Consumer segment-maintenance, commercial and residential.

Target Group

Plants, heavy machinery, home owners, construction and infrastructure developing companies.


RPM is a mosaic of superior products, technologies, services, company and people

RPM Inc SWOT Analysis


Below is the Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities & Threats (SWOT) Analysis of RPM Inc. Strengths are:

1. RPM is one of the biggest brands in US with a $ 3.4 billion sale out of which 67% is from industrial segment worldwide and remaining 33% from consumers mainly in North America.
2. Company employs 9000 people worldwide working in 78 manufacturing facilities in 18 countries and its products are sold in approx. 150 countries.
3. RPM has wide array of brands so it has decentralized structure which makes it easier for top management to administer.
4. It provides products in all price brackets thus having a large customer base.

5. They have identified and meticulously operate on 5 Ps of sustainability-Products, Processes, People, Place and Prosperity.

6. They minimized the environmental footprint through 3 Rs (Reduce, Re-use and Recycle).

7. Company has been paying annual dividends to its investors y-o-y from past 38 years which shows its consistent performance and growth
8. Popular sub-brands include Zinsser, DAP, Varathane, Wolman, Watco, Rust-Oleum


Here are the weaknesses in the RPM Inc SWOT Analysis:

1. They are not much into architectural and decorative segments which may have great potential for growth

2. Limited liquidity at disposal

3. Not much visibility in South-east Asia


Following are the Opportunities in RPM Inc SWOT Analysis:

1. Expansion to emerging economies like India and China
2. Eco-friendly products which have more potential demand
3. Decorative and Architectural paints category may provide an excellent growth opportunity

4. It should focus on R&D and innovation to come out with more innovative and durable products


The threats in the SWOT Analysis of RPM Inc are as mentioned:

1. Volatility in raw material prices
2. Global economy is sluggish especially US is still vulnerable to another recession
3. It faces tough competition from other American and international brands

4. Stringent Government rules and regulations regarding the quality of products and manufacturing facilities as Environment policies are being given more emphasis

5. Currency fluctuations in the countries in which the company operates

RPM Inc Competition


Below are the top 5 RPM Inc competitors:

2. PPG industries

3. Valspar

4. Sherwin-Williams

5. Nippon Paints

The brandguide table above concludes the RPM Inc SWOT analysis along with its marketing and brand parameters. Similar analysis has also been done for the competitors of the company belonging to the same category, sector or industry.

Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to RPM Inc. The BrandGuide section covers SWOT Analysis, USP, STP & Competition of more than 6000 brands from over 20 categories.

Search & Explore : BrandGuide

The brand names and other brand information used in the BrandGuide section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBASkool in any way. The brand names are used purely for educational/academic purpose only. Utmost care has been taken in the analysis of the brands. However, if you find any ambiguity kindly help us improve.

Edit the Brand or Add a New One : Contribute to BrandGuide
Share this Page on:
Facebook ShareTweetShare on G+Share on Linkedin

Similar Brands in the same Sector: