Sky UK Limited (SUL) or British Sky Broadcasting company, as it was known formerly, is a British telecom company providing fixed line telephony, broadband, television and broadcasting services.
It’s UK’s largest pay-TV broadcaster and part of the Sky group, representing the UK operations of the parent group. The core business for SUL had been broadcasting and it had expanded to telephony and broadband businesses later on. Its products are:
• Sky: DTH service of Sky
• Sky broadband: Provides broadband and telephony services to 5 million customers in Britain and Ireland.
• NOW TV: Sky’s OTT streaming service, providing low-cost access to the broadcasting content of Sky
SUL’s origin lies in the cable broadcasting business when Sky Television PLC and British Satellite Broadcasting merged their businesses in 1990.
Sky has developed multiple revenue options based on its core services:
• Sky Business: Provides Sky’s TV and WiFi services to commercial businesses like offices, hotels, retail outlets and licensed premises
• Sky Bet: An online platform for betting and gaming services
• Sky Vision: Wholesales Sky channels to 3rd party TV platforms and specific programmes internationally.
Over the next few years, SUL will be focussing on connected services to enable cross selling across various products.