POSDCORB is an acronym that was first coined in a paper on administrative management that was written for the Brownlow Committee by Luther Gulick and Lyndall Urwick.
This essentially refers to the various steps or stages involved in a typical administrative process. POSDCORB stands for:
1. Planning: This essentially refers to establishing a broad sketch of the work to be completed and the procedures incorporated to implement them.
2. Organizing: Organizing involves formally classifying, defining and synchronizing the various sub-processes or subdivisions of the work to be done.
3. Staffing: This involves recruiting and selecting the right candidates for the job and facilitating their orientation and training while maintaining a favorable work environment.
4. Directing: This entails decision making and delegating structured instructions and orders to execute them.
5. Coordinating: This basically refers to orchestrating and interlinking the various components of the work.
6. Reporting: Reporting involves regularly updating the superior about the progress or the work related activities. The information dissemination can be through records or inspection.
7. Budgeting: Budgeting involves all the activities that under Auditing, Accounting, Fiscal Planning and Control.
Related Business Content