Posted in Human Resource Terms, Total Reads: 34589
Definition: Quality of Work Life (QWL)
Quality of work life is a concept which talks about the overall focus on employee as a person rather than just the work done by him/her. Quality of Work Life is becoming an increasingly popular concept in recent times. It basically talks about the methods in which an organisation can ensure the holistic well-being of an employee instead of just focusing on work-related aspects.
Quality of work life (QWL) is a fact that an individual’s life can’t be compartmentalised and any disturbance on the personal front will affect his/her professional life and vice-versa. A good work life balance is also what motivates an employee the most to perform well at his or job and also spend quality time with the family. Therefore, organisations have started to focus on the overall development and happiness of the employee for their motivation and reducing his/her stress levels without jeopardising the economic health of the company.
Ways to achieve quality of work life
Each organisation has its own way of achieving this. But the most common elements adopted are shown in the image below:
There are several ways to achieve to quality of work life. The key elements can be described as below:
1. Providing Job Security: If an employee is confident that his job is secure, they are much more relaxed and can perform better. It gives them a confidence that even if something goes wrong by mistake, their job will not be at stake
2. Rewards and recognition: If an employee is awarded for a good performance, its helps them to perform even better.
3. Flexible work timings: Flexibility during working hours is something which is appreciated by employees. This gives employees a chance to do their work and also work on certain important personal commitments. This significantly contributes to improving the quality of work life for an employee.
4. Increased employee participation: Involving employees in discussions, strategies & feedback is something which helps increase the employees QWL & contribution towards a particular role.
5. Open communication: Transparency between management and employees gives them confidence as they are updated with the business and also feel at ease being approachable
6. Career growth plans: Discussing the future of the employee in the company, interesting aspects of the job, career development etc are all appreciated by employees
7. Job enrichment: Companies which are able to enrich the job with new tasks, better learning & training, more opportunities etc are more likely to keep employees happy at work.
All these factors contribute in achieving a QWL for an employee
Browse definitions and meaning of more concepts and terms similar to Quality of Work Life (QWL). The Management Dictionary covers definitions and overview of over 7000 business concepts from 6 categories.