Job description is an informative documentation of the scope, duties, tasks, responsibilities and working conditions related to the job listing in the organization through the process of job analysis. Job Description also details the skills and qualifications that an individual applying for the job needs to possess. It basically gives all the details which might be good for both the company and the applicant so that both parties are on the same page regarding the job posting.
The job description is used in the recruitment process to inform the applicants of the job profile and requirements, and used at the performance management process to evaluate the employee’s performance against the description. Basically, job analysis is bifurcated into two components namely job description and job specification.
Importance of Job Description
Job description is the most important thing which a candidate gets about a job listing. Job description gives all the relevant and necessary details about a job. The details which can help one decide whether the job is relevant or not. Qualifications, roles, responsibilities etc are included in the job description document which paints a clear picture of what is expected from the particular role.
Job Description Components
A Job description will include the following:
- Roles and responsibilities of the job
- Goals of the organization as well the goals to be achieved as a part of the profile
- Qualifications in terms of education and work experience required have to be clearly mentioned
- Skill sets required to fulfill the job
- Salary range of the job
Job Description Sample
A typical job description would have job title followed by summary. After these, there could be a detailed description of the role. Education qualifications required are also mostly included along with location.
Regional Sales Manager
The RSM would be responsible for the sales of territory assigned. The territories would be in and around the job location.
The RSM should be motivated and willing to make decisions on his/her own. The sales quota and targets would be predefined. The RSM would be leading the local sales team of approx. 5-6 team size.
(The description should cover all the details)
Graduate with Business Degree/Diploma
7-8 years of experience in FMCG Sales
The table above shows a sample job description. Formats for job description may vary from company to company but the overall details would be similar.
Advantages of Job Description
There are many benefits of having a comprehensive job description given by a company. Some of the advantages of job description are mentioned below:
1. Helps companies understand the type of candidate they should search for based on title, position and location
2. Employees are well aware about their job roles & duties
3. Job description helps in understanding the workplace environment, benefits etc for a prospective employee
4. Helps in better recruitment & selection
5. Job description clearly highlights all the requirements, objectives & goals that it wants an employee to perform
Disadvantages of Job Description
Despite being a thorough documentation related to the job, there are certain limitation of job description:
1. Job descriptions are time bound and can change with organization structure, industry policies, company requirements etc
2. It can only highlight the macro criteria of a job but cannot fully explain the obstacles, emotional requirements etc related to the job
3. Incomplete job description lacking quality information can misguide both the HR manager as well as the employee