Top 10 Tyre Companies in India 2016

Posted in Top Brand Lists, Total Reads: 3756

2. Apollo Tyres

This Gurgaon (now Gurugram) based tyre company was founded by Mathew T Marattukalam in 1972.

Image: company website

It is the world’ 17th biggest tyre manufacturer with a turnover of $ 2 billion in FY 2014-15, and its products are available in over 100 countries. It has manufacturing facilities in India (Gujarat, Kerala, Tamilnadu), Africa (Zimbabwe and South Africa) and Europe (The Netherlands).


It has invested in a new production facility in Hungary. It currently owns five key brands – Apollo, Vrendestein, Kaizen, Maloya, and Regal. While the first two comprise of tyres for passenger and commercial vehicles, the remaining 3 brands are category specific. Kaizen and Regal are manufactured for truck-bus segment while Maloya is manufactured only for passenger vehicle category. Apollo doesn’t manufacture tyres for the 2 or 3 wheeler vehicle segment.

It has a very strong distribution network in India and Europe, with approx. 5,000 retailers in India and over 9,000 sale points in Europe. It has a target of earning 60% revenue from international operations and remaining 40% from India. It is targeting key emerging markets around the world such as the ASEAN region, Latin America, Middle East and others.

It launched the “Go the distance” challenge in 2014 with Manchester United in which fans and players showcase their football skills and get season tickets or a signed match-worm shirt from one of the Manchester United team players.

It is facing competition from the cheap Chinese tyres in India. Therefore it is relying on better product mix and improvements in operational efficiencies to bring down cost. As a result although it reported loss in sales growth it was able to increase its net profit by 12% this year. It is also planning to launch tyres for 2 wheelers to become a full range player.

Market Capitalization: Rs 7686 Cr

Net Sales: Rs.12,726 Cr

Production: 1640 MT/day

Net Profit: Rs 978 Cr

Looking for Similar Lists, Browse more Top Lists

Share this Page on: