Marketing Strategy of Singapore Airlines analyzes the brand with the marketing mix framework which covers the 4Ps (Product, Price, Place, Promotion). These business strategies, based on Singapore Airlines marketing mix, help the brand succeed in the market. Let us start the Singapore Airlines Marketing Strategy & Mix to understand its product, pricing, advertising & distribution strategies:
The product strategy and mix in Singapore Airlines marketing strategy can be explained as follows:
Singapore Airlines is one of the finest airlines in the world, known for its high quality service and classy experience of flying. Singapore Airlines, based out of Singapore, is a leader in the airline industry, having a global footprint in terms of the destinations it serves. The main product and service strategy in its marketing mix is to offer comfortable flights and related services to its customers. Some of the service classes offered by Singapore Airlines are:
• Suites – It is available only on Airbus A380-800. It consists of separate compartments which has walls and doors. It is a luxury segment and consists of chairs with Italian leather and wide armrests. There is also a TV mounted on the wall for the viewing pleasure of the passengers. There is a folding bed and blinders for privacy.
• Singapore Airlines First Class - They provide 24 inch television screens with touch controls for the passengers, there is in-flight lighting, some control units for the passengers, wide seats and foldable beds. Luxury leather and woods are used in making the seats and this provides a rich ambiance.
• Singapore Airlines Business Class – They are mostly suitable form business travellers and provide a middle ground between luxury and productive efficiency.
They have power sockets and ports required for the electronic gadgets, a storage area for the stationaries, new seating positions and 18-inch television screens.
• Premium Economy Class – It was introduced in the year 2015. It has wider seats and more leg space compared to the normal economy class. They have a 13.3 inch HD touchscreen television mounted on the back of the seats. They provide a provision to automatically order food on the flight.
• Singapore Airlines Economy Class – They consists of slimmer seats and adjustable headrests. They have an 11.1 inch touch screen television for in-flight entertainment. Some of the other facilities available are cup holders, power sockets and USB ports. Some flights also provide exclusive iPod ports.
Singapore Airlines Price/Pricing Strategy:
Below is the pricing strategy in Singapore Airlines marketing strategy:
Singapore Airlines have variable pricing as per the customer classes. The provide opportunities to book ticket online through their website and provide price discounts on special occasions.
The prices are competitive and helps Singapore Airlines to cater to customers belonging to various financial background. The fares also depend on the route and sector of airspace which the flight will cover.
Following is the distribution strategy in the Singapore Airlines marketing mix:
Singapore Airlines cover over 60+ destinations throughout the world. Their based at Changi Airport at Singapore. One can book tickets directly at the airport, through their website or through online travel agents. Since Singapore Airlines is based in Singapore, it has access to entire Asia and Australia. The long haul flights cater even to Europe and Americas.
This ensures that Singapore Airlines is a leading global airline.
The promotional and advertising strategy in the Singapore Airlines marketing strategy is as follows:
Singapore Airlines uses various means to promote its brand. 360 brands includes TVCs, print ads, online ads etc. Other promotional activities by Singapore Airlines can be covered as below:
• Fare Deals – They sometimes provide promotional prices and other deals like black Friday deals and other holiday season fares. There are also region and route specific promotions which encourage new travellers to try out Singapore Airlines
• KrisFlyer promotions – It includes promotions like multiple of miles, discounts on bread and breakfast rates, lump sum miles, bonus miles per unit of certain purchase etc.
• Hotels – They provide platform for the customers to book hotels at competitive prices and also provide several promotions like upto 70% off on bookings, double KrisFlyer miles for every dollar spent and other benefits like over 1.2 million vacation rentals
• Car Rentals – Singapore Airlines provide car rental tie-up services through rentalcars.com which has tie ups with all major international rental car suppliers covering 50000 locations throughout the world. They also provide 1.5 miles for every dollar spent which is an added incentive to the customers as well makes their life easier
• Travel Add-Ons – They also have tie ups with Tradewinds tours and travels, Viator Tours and Activities, Conxxe airport transfers which provides KrisFlyer miles when customers avail these services.
All the above promotions help Singapore Airlines in giving it a competitive advantage and attracts new customers by creating value for the customers.
Since this is a service marketing brand, here are the other three Ps to make it the 7Ps marketing mix of Singapore Airlines.
Singapore Airlines is a leading airline service brand and hence has a strong focus on the people. Chairman of Singapore Airlines is Mr Peter Seah Lim Huat and its Chief Executive Officer is Mr Goh Choon Phong. There are various career opportunities and different level of staffs who collectively help in smooth functioning of the company and provide the best customer service.
• Ground Professionals – It consists of managers who are in leadership positions and decide upon the policies and the future course of action the company should take. Executive Generalists who conduct market research and contribute in increasing sales efficiencies. Executive Specialists work in the fields of IT, Engineering and Finance as well as Accounting. Station Managers handle diverse set of activities starting from operations, customer service to cargo handling, catering inside flights, safety and crisis management.
• Pilots – Singapore Airlines has a rigorous selection process for the pilots and hence is able to select some of the best candidates who provide seamless flying experience to the customers. They are technically able and trained to provide the top flying standards to people.
• Singapore Airlines Cabin Crew – They look for certain qualities like being proactive, a good team player and customer orientation while selecting cabin crew which has enabled them in providing excellent customer service for years. This creates unique customer experience and increases repeat customers
Singapore Airlines deliver value to the customer through various ways. They have various lounge services like SilverKris Lounge, KrisFlyer Gold Lounge, Airline Partner lounges etc. They also have various in-flight entertainment systems like movies, televisions, music, games etc. Singapore Airlines provide various types of dining and wine facilities to the travellers. They have inflight retail shop called KrisShop with more than 450 products at attractive prices.
Singapore Airlines fleet consists of Airbus A330-300, Airbus A380-800, Boeing 777-200 etc. which are some of the best aircrafts available in the industry. The luxury classes have Italian leather and wide comfortable seats which adds to the customer experience. The Singapore Airlines girls in their traditional attire add beauty and bring out the authentic Singapore culture in flight. The logo of an yellow flying bird in blue background gives an uplifting feeling to the consumers. Hence this concludes the marketing mix of Singapore Airlines.
About Singapore Airlines:
Singapore Airlines is one of the flagship carriers of Singapore and its base of operation is at Singapore Changi Airport. It is among the top fifteen airlines at a global level. It began its operations in 1947 with its first flight from Singapore to Malaysia.
In 2004 Singapore Airlines was first to provide non-stop flights between Singapore and USA. It became the longest scheduled chartered flight.
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing strategy and 4Ps analysis of more brands similar to Singapore Airlines. The Marketing Strategy & Mix section covers 4Ps and 7Ps of more than 800 brands in 2 categories.