Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: December 15, 2016
Marketing Strategy of Hermès analyses the brand with the marketing mix framework which covers the 4Ps (Product, Price, Place, Promotion). There are several marketing strategies like product innovation, pricing approach, promotion planning etc. These business strategies, based on Hermès marketing mix, help the brand succeed.
Hermès marketing strategy helps the brand/company to position itself competitively in the market and achieve its business goals & objectives.
Let us start the Hermès Marketing Strategy & Mix to understand its product, pricing, advertising & distribution strategies:
Hermès Product Strategy:
The product strategy and mix in Hermès marketing strategy can be explained as follows:
Hermès uses the customization and innovation to prosper in the competitive market. Hermes focuses on a diverse product marketing mix strategy and its product portfolio comprises:
1. APPARELS & ACCESSORIES: For Men-Ready to Wear, Ties, Pocket Squares, Men Scarves, Mufflers, Belts, Shoes, Accessories and For Women- Ready to Wear, Swimwear, Belts, Shoes, Accessories, Scarves
5. EQUESTRIAN- for the horse, for the rider, for the stable
Hermès Price/Pricing Strategy:
Below is the pricing strategy in Hermès marketing strategy:
Hermès has adopted the policy of premium pricing strategy in its marketing mix to imbibe the sense of exclusivity which is exactly what the luxury consumers look for and does not make any discount on its products for any events, occasions or person.
Exclusivity is also ensured by launching limited edition series. Thus, Hermès charges a very high price for its products which meet the needs (rather exclusive needs) of the target market to make profits. The price of its products depend upon the type of product and the premium prices set by competitors in that segment.
Hermès Place & Distribution Strategy:
Following is the distribution strategy in the Hermès marketing mix:
Hermes operates in worldwide hot fashion districts like Japan, Europe, USA and Asia Pacific to increase sales and expand its customer base. Especially, in China which currently is the world’s largest luxury market.
Hermès distributes its products through 307 exclusive shops around the world to reinforce its brand image and also serves online.78% of the turnover is generated through Hermès fully owned shops.
Hermès Promotion & Advertising Strategy:
The promotional and advertising strategy in the Hermès marketing strategy is as follows:
Hermes, being a premium consumer durable brand, focuses on holistic advertising. The promotional strategy in the marketing mix of Hermes can be explained as below:
• Waiting list strategy- Strategists at Hermes makes good use of the Economic funda ‘Scarcity increases the value’ to create exclusive demand of its products amidst the high-end shoppers by keeping at least a year long wait list.
Unlike other brands, Hermès constantly maintains the core value of the brand by not practicing mass advertising to reach higher sales volume which helps the brand to communicate easily with its specific target groups.
• Communication media- Hermès mostly advertise in print media that can smartly provide attractive colors, theme and fabulous images. Like- luxury and high fashion magazines such as Vogue.
• Celebrity endorsement- Hermès uses this tool to create global brand awareness and add value & enhance position of its brand in the market.
Hermès to increase the value of its products uses celebrity names for its products example, "Kelly and Berkin bags" is named after Grace Kelly and Jane Berkin.
• Outdoor advertising Fashion show- to promote new products and get feedbacks from customers.
• Movies- Hermès to boost the reputation of its products asks famous actors in the movies to use the product. Example, Hermès Birkin bag was used by Sandra Bullock in the movie" the proposal"
• Website- supports various languages for different countries to promote its latest products and services and to respond to customer questions.
Hence, this covers the Hermes marketing mix.
Hermès by Thierry Hermès is a French high fashion luxury goods manufacturer and started with producing saddle in 1837. Presently it has 14 product divisions specializing in leather, ready-to-wear (men & women), lifestyle accessories, footwear, gloves, scarves, ties, perfumes, jewelry, watches, stationary and home furnishings. Hermès has an annual sale of $5.37 billion composed of about 30% leather goods, 15% clothes, 12% scarves, and 43% other wares and employees 11,718.
Hermès famous classical style and unique handcrafting technique of leather goods sets it apart from its competitors. Hermès has very strict policies to prevent copy of their manufacture and design and thus does not license its products.
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing strategy and 4Ps analysis of more brands similar to Hermès. The Marketing Strategy & Mix section covers 4Ps and 7Ps of more than 800 brands in 2 categories.