SWOT Analysis of WH Smith with USP, Competition, STP (Segmentation, Targeting, Positioning) - Marketing Analysis
Books, stationary, magazines, newspaper
More than 200 years old: First newsagent in the Smith family opened in 1792
Income, hobby, attitude
High income, reading, travelers
Being a responsible business is a high priority
1. Prominent brand name: Presence in the category for more than 200 years 2. Strong distribution network: over 600 stores on the high street and over 600 stores at airports, train stations, etc 3. Meaty global presence: Beyond UK company also operates in Australia, South East Asia, India and Middle East 4. Strong online service: offers like deliver orders over £15 free to your address, etc
5. Generating awareness about environmental aspect of business thus increasing brand loyalty
6. Company is made up of two core businesses- Travel and High Street. This provides stability, since low performance by one can be compensated by other.
1. The travel business is impacted by geopolitical events, wars and acts of terrorism, etc. Thus resulting in generation of lower revenue during crisis 2. With increase awareness of online shopping, entry barrier in the business has decreased significantly
1. With experience of more than 200 years in the sector company can strengthen its position across the globe 2. Vertical Integration: Can develop its own branded magazines, entertainment products, etc
1. Long term economic slowdown can decrease the revenue significantly since consumer spending will reduce 2. High competition from both supermarkets and online retailers in the high-street segment 3. Growing awareness of E-books which are cheaper and easily available
1. Blackwell UK Limited 2. HMV Group plc 3. Amazon.co.uk Ltd
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to WH Smith. The BrandGuide section covers SWOT Analysis, USP, STP & Competition of more than 6000 brands from over 20 categories.
The brand names and other brand information used in the BrandGuide section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBASkool in any way. The brand names are used purely for educational/academic purpose only. Utmost care has been taken in the analysis of the brands. However, if you find any ambiguity kindly help us improve.