Posted in Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare, Total Reads: 1013
SWOT Analysis of Optum with USP, Competition, STP (Segmentation, Targeting, Positioning) - Marketing Analysis
UnitedHealth Group Inc.
Health services and innovation company
Good for the system
The family of companies touches nearly every aspect of health care in the US
Health insurance and benefit plans , health care focused financial services
Mainly large employer groups
Modern health care by combining data and analytics with technology and expertise
1. Its size and network is its biggest strength, it employed 94,000 across the globe 2. Together with its parent company UnitedHealth Group Inc. (UHG) it offers a spectrum of health products and services 3. It takes advantage of the economies of scale and scope 4. High barriers to entry in the health care industry is advantageous
5. Inorganic growth through strategic acquisitions e.g. XLHealth added 117,000 Medicare advantage members
6. Operations across North & South America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Middle East
1. Even though Optum is a market leader, the competitiveness of the industry is increasing every year 2. Significant level of indebtedness along with its parent UHG can hamper its operations as well as expansion plans 3. Due to the nature of the industry, litigations against the company will hamper the image of the company and the group
1. With its major operations in US, there is still a huge scope of expansion with an estimated 42 million people uninsured 2. With a trend towards generic medicines, the overall cost can come down and increase profitability 3. It can introduce newer products which target specific segment of people
4. Global expansion will help benefit the group in increasing its base of customers
1. Regulatory environment is the biggest threat to its operations 2. With increasing technology, keeping pace with the advancements can be difficult and expensive 3. The negative publicity due to litigations is likely to affect private health insurance business
1. CVS Health Corporation 2. Health Net, Inc. 3. Express Scripts Holding Company
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Optum. The BrandGuide section covers SWOT Analysis, USP, STP & Competition of more than 6000 brands from over 20 categories.
The brand names and other brand information used in the BrandGuide section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBASkool in any way. The brand names are used purely for educational/academic purpose only. Utmost care has been taken in the analysis of the brands. However, if you find any ambiguity kindly help us improve.