Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 26, 2020
SWOT analysis of Western Union analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Western Union SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Western Union to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Western Union is one of the leading brands in the banking & financial services sector.
The article below lists the Western Union SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Western Union SWOT Analysis:
For Western Union, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
Western Union Strengths
The strengths of Western Union looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Western Union :
1. Presence in over 200 countries & around 150 years of experience 2. Offers unique products more specifically across a single domain 3. P/E ratio of WU is higher compared to the industry average ie stock overvalued
4. The company has over 7000 people worldwide
5. One of the global leaders in Wire transfers and Money orders
6. Strong advertising and marketing has made the brand high on recall
7. The brand has actively sponsored events and sports team; and also supported military
Western Union Weaknesses
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Western Union SWOT Analysis:
1. High dependence on technology means huge investments 2. Profit margin decline has been a concern
Western Union Opportunities
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Western Union SWOT Analysis:
1. Can form strategic alliance with money providers to benefit each other 2. Can diversify to other domains by providing Banking and insurance services 3. Can develop cash less economies
Western Union Threats
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Western Union are as mentioned:
1. Global downturn affects its workings 2. Uncertainty about the economic outlook & changes in the Govt. regulations 3.Introduction of substitute products
Western Union Competitors
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 6 competitors of Western Union:
1. Currency Solutions 2. TOR Fx 3. Moneycorp
4. UK Forex
Hence this concludes the Western Union SWOT analysis.
One of the largest financial services company specializing in global money transfer
Western Union STP
Individuals, HNI’s, large firms and anyone looking for money transfer
Individuals and large firms
A firm with strong roots in past & rich experience in what it does – money transfer
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Western Union. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute