Phillips 66 SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of Phillips 66, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Phillips 66 to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors, and make strategic improvements. Phillips 66 is one of the leading brands in the energy & power sector.
The article below lists the Phillips 66 SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Phillips 66 SWOT Analysis:
In this article:
For Phillips 66, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Phillips 66 looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Phillips 66 :
1. It is ranked 7 in the Fortune 500 list of 2015 employing over 14000 employees
2. Its stations Phillips 66 and 76 are highly recognized brands across the US
3. Apart from US it operates in more than 65 countries across the world
4. It has one of the best distribution and sales network in the US for NGL and petrochemicals
5. The company owns 15 refineries with net crude oil capacity of 2.2 million barrels per day, 10,000 branded marketing outlets, and 24,000 Kms of pipelines
6. Actively involved in finding new sources of energy
7. The first company to join U.S. climate action plan
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Phillips 66 SWOT Analysis:
1. Increasing cost of new exploration and production projects
2. Increasing volatility of Oil & Gas prices in the world markets affects profitability
3. Total revenues have decreased due to decrease in prices of Crude oil
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Phillips 66 SWOT Analysis:
1. With the decrease in prices, the demand for Oil & Natural gas has increased in the US
2. Strategic divestments of non-core assets have helped generate additional revenue for the company
3. Disciplined approach taken to invest in new areas for Oil & Gas
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Phillips 66 are as mentioned:
1. Energy & Power sector is one of the most competitive business in the world and perhaps the most volatile
2. Threat of OPEC and cartelization which can hamper profits
3. Investments in Shale gas and Oil sands which could only be operational if oil prices are high
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 3 competitors of Phillips 66:
1. BP Plc
2. Chevron Corporation
3. Exxon Mobil Corporation
Hence this concludes the Phillips 66 SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
|Phillips 66 Overview|
Phillips 66 Company
Natural Gas Liquids (NGL) and Petrochemicals
Proud To Be Here
One of the biggest companies in the world
|Phillips 66 STP|
Downstream NGL & Petrochemicals
End consumers and midstream Natural Gas Liquids companies
Diversified energy manufacturing and logistics company
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Phillips 66. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us