Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 12, 2020
SWOT analysis of TransCanada analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In TransCanada SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like TransCanada to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. TransCanada is one of the leading brands in the energy & power sector.
The article below lists the TransCanada SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the TransCanada SWOT Analysis:
For TransCanada, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of TransCanada looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of TransCanada :
1. TransCanada’s strong market position resulting from its vast network of energy infrastructure network provides competitive strength, and helps it execute newer asset investment programs 2. It has diverse energy generation assets (owns and controls 10,800 MW of power generation comprising a diverse but balanced portfolio) , which helps it develop its business further 3. It has one of the largest natural gas storage facilities in west Canada, and aided by contracted third parties like CrossAlta, Edson etc., this has been a major contributor to TransCanada’s growth
4. Over 4000 people work for the organization
5. Its pipeline network is over 60,000 km
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the TransCanada SWOT Analysis:
1. TransCanada earns major part of its revenue only from the North American market, and this exposes the company greatly to risks of this market, which can have a negative impact on its growth prospects 2. TransCanada, as compared to its competitors, suffers from lack of scale in terms of power generating capabilities, revenue and number of employees which inhibits its ability to effectively compete with other large players in the industry
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in TransCanada SWOT Analysis:
1. Increase in natural gas demand in North America (due to an increased demand for power) will help TransCanada capture investment opportunities and grow by involving in newer projects 2. It has invested in strategic projects to scale up its “Clean Energy” Portfolio (of Renewable energy Assets) such as the Halton Hills Generating Station, Kibby Wind power project, Cartier Wind Project, acquisition of Ontario Solar Projects etc. which, in addition to improving its growth opportunities, will also enhance its Brand Image 3. TransCanada’s HornRiver Pipeline project will provide a 2nd direct point of access to the growing shale gas supplies in northeast British Columbia, which will help connect new sources of gas supplies to the market, thereby reaping better profits for the company
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of TransCanada are as mentioned:
1. Intense competition from other players who have greater financial resources and access to supplies of natural gas can pose a challenge in the future to TransCanada 2. Stringent environmental regulations such as the Canadian Govt.’s Regulatory Framework for Air Emissions would affect a number of facilities of TransCanada, and affect their existing operations, thereby imposing extra liabilities on the company 3. Fluctuation in power and natural gas prices in the competitive, deregulated American market can and sometimes do affect the company’s efficiency and outputs
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 4 competitors of TransCanada:
1. Duke Energy Corporation 2. Dynegy Inc. 3. El Paso Corporation
4. Mid American Energy Holdings Company
Hence this concludes the TransCanada SWOT analysis.
Leader in the responsible development and reliable operation of North American energy infrastructure
Corporates and individuals with energy requirements
Entities which require natural gas, LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas) and electricity
Engaged in the transmission and storage of natural gas, & in power generation
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to TransCanada. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute