Rosneft SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of Rosneft, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Rosneft to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors, and make strategic improvements. Rosneft is one of the leading brands in the energy & power sector.
The article below lists the Rosneft SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Rosneft SWOT Analysis:
In this article:
For Rosneft, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Rosneft looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Rosneft :
1. Its vertically integrated businesses across the energy value chain (exploration, production, refining, marketing and distribution) with a huge employee base of nearly 170,000 provide it opportunities to optimize its business while minimizing its risks
2. Its strategic refining asset locations in the Volga-Urals, East Siberia, Krasnodar and trans-shipment facilities at Tuapse and Nakhodka allow the company to be competitive in the market
3. Its strong marketing operations to both wholesale and retail customers in Russia gives it a widespread visibility in the market, thus helping it penetrate new markets
4. Its wide asset portfolio producing petroleum products and petrochemicals throughout Russia helps it achieve financial success
5. Its strong financial performance (with tremendous increase of evenues, net profit and operating profit) over the previous years has brought it out as a company with robust foundations
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Rosneft SWOT Analysis:
1.Heavy dependence on external pipelines (belonging to Transneft) puts it at a competitive disadvantage against companies with their own pipeline network.
2.Concentration of Oil and Gas reserves in only western Siberia increases the business risk of the company, which could lead to serious repercussions on its finances in case of any geo-political risks from the region
3. Restricted autonomy of the company puts it at a competitive disadvantage against other market players
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Rosneft SWOT Analysis:
1.Operations expansion via collaborations with groups such as Eni, ITERA, Kynsko-Chaselskoye Neftegaz, Gazprom etc. recently will help it in expanding its geographic reach
2. Collaboration with Exxon Mobil in certain international projects in the Black Sea, Caspian Sea, Kara Sea etc. and certain stake acquisitions in the US gulf coast will help it in technological progress and bring in further revenues
3. Stake acquisition in TNK-BP represents a unique and compelling strategic opportunity and also creates a significant value for Rosneft
4. Cooperation agreement with Statoil (to jointly explore offshore fields in the Russian sections of the Barents Sea and Sea of Okhotsk, the Norwegian part of the Barents Sea and three blocks in the Sea of Okhotsk, namely Magadan 1, Lisyansky, and Kashevarovsky) will help it increase and develop its offshore assets
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Rosneft are as mentioned:
1.Fluctuations in crude /natural oil price can affect its operations and sales and bring about losses in its revenues
2.Stringent HSE (Health, security and environment) regulations adopted by the governments of the areas where it operates may lead to it incurring substantial capital and operating costs to meet such standards
3.Natural Gas production/marketing risks such as the fact that the transporting of oil by Rosneft depends on Gazprom’s pipeline system and that market rates are decided by Russia’s government and any change in regulation by these entities can serve against Rosneft’s interests
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 3 competitors of Rosneft:
2.ITERA group Ltd
3.OAO Gazprom Neft
Hence this concludes the Rosneft SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
Oil and Gas
Energy for Growth
Russia's leading extraction and refinement company
Markets in Europe, US, and CIS nations
Entities/companies which require hydrocarbon, petroleum and petrochemicals
The leader of Russia’s petroleum industry, with a responsibility to the society at large; minimizing any negative impact on the environment.
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Rosneft. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us