National Grid SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of National Grid, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like National Grid to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors, and make strategic improvements. National Grid is one of the leading brands in the energy & power sector.
The article below lists the National Grid SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the National Grid SWOT Analysis:
In this article:
For National Grid, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of National Grid looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of National Grid :
1. Significant electricity assets in the UK (England and Wales) and US (New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, and Vermont) help it in enhancing the efficiency of its electricity operations
2. Strong gas distribution operations in the US (with a distribution network of approximately 58,000 kilometers of gas pipelines covering an area of approximately 26,400 square kilometers) and UK (with a network of approximately 132,000 kilometers of gas distribution pipelines) offers it a competitive advantage by strengthening its market position
3. NGP has diversified operations in the US and the UK through its following business segments: US regulated; UK transmission; and UK gas distribution, which help reduce its business risk
4. Its sound financial banking helps it keep its operational efficiency to a maximum with a workforce of 25,000+
5. Its cost efficiency in operations, transmission and distribution helps it garner high profits
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the National Grid SWOT Analysis:
1. NGP is a holding company, which conducts all of its businesses through its subsidiaries, and thus the dependence on its subsidiaries for payments puts the company in risk as its subsidiaries do not guarantee its payments
2. NGP subsidiary KeySpan generates a substantial portion of its revenues in its electric services segment from a series of agreements with Long Island Power Authority (LIPA), which declined to renew the agreement, which may adversely impact the company’s income
3. Its business in the US is regulated by US laws which cause certain problems to the company’s business affairs
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in National Grid SWOT Analysis:
1. Expansion of the Isle of Grain importation facility, the only LNG importation facility currently working in the UK which provides the company with an opportunity to further expand its LNG operations as well as exploit opportunities for further market penetration.
2. NGP and Statnett signed an agreement to develop an electricity interconnector between Norway and the UK. The North Sea Network (NSN) project is a key to further development of the North-European power grid, which will help NGP in offering more business to a diversified market, thus resulting in an increased financial performance
3. Increasing demand for electricity and natural gas in the US, and a growing smart grid market will benefit the company and help it record robust top line growth
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of National Grid are as mentioned:
1. Intense competition with other market players, which have greater financial resources, credit access, geographical reach can erode its market reach
2. Its operations are subject to extensive federal, state and local environmental regulatory requirements, which can increase its compliance costs and impact its profit margins adversely
3. The electricity and gas businesses of NGP are seasonal and dependent on weather conditions in the service areas and as such, fluctuations in weather could significantly impact the operating results in turn affecting the company's operations and financial condition
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 4 competitors of National Grid:
1. Scottish and Southern Energy
2. Consolidated Edison Inc.
3. Dominion Resources Inc.
4. Duke Energy Corporation
Hence this concludes the National Grid SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
|National Grid Overview|
Natural gas Utilities
Delivering energy safely, reliably and efficiently
An international electricity and gas company and one of the largest investor-owned energy companies in the world
|National Grid STP|
Enterprises and individuals with energy requirements
Entities which require electricity, gas and LNG storage etc
An international network utility company with electricity and gas transmission and distribution interests
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to National Grid. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us