Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 29, 2020
SWOT analysis of BreadTalk analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In BreadTalk SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like BreadTalk to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. BreadTalk is one of the leading brands in the food & beverages sector.
The article below lists the BreadTalk SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the BreadTalk SWOT Analysis:
For BreadTalk, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of BreadTalk looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of BreadTalk :
1. The group has a chain of approx 40 retail outlets island-wide in Singapore
2. Presence in Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines, Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Hong Kong, the People's Republic of China, Oman, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Bahrain and India.
3. Sells a wide range of bread, cakes, buns and pastries.
4. Revolutionised the bakery business with the boutique bakery concept.
4. BreadTalk has more than 90 outlets in Indonesia and in total 700 owned and franchised bakery outlets, food courts, and restaurants.
5. Host of other brands like Dina Tai Fung, Food Republic, Toast Box, RamenPlay, The Icing Room, Carl’s Jr and J.Co. Donuts and Coffee.
6. Global staff strength of 7,000 employees
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the BreadTalk SWOT Analysis:
1. Operates a no. of brands under one umbrella but the brand unification isn’t clearly visible.
2. A lot of big retail brands like Starbucks, Cheesefactory, still missing in its portfolio.
3. Incidents like SARS in and the global economic crisis in the last few years could seriously affect the business.
4. Low barriers to entry in the segment.
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in BreadTalk SWOT Analysis:
1. Operations restricted to Asia and Middle East. Increasing its operations into other countries.
2. Capturing market share in new areas with developed market.
3. Diversification into other retail brands in Garments, Fashion, footwear, etc.
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of BreadTalk are as mentioned:
1. Strong competition from other players like M.H. Alshaya. 2. Operations dependent on regulations and policies of different economies while operating in foreign countries.
3. The entry of new competitors into the same F&B segments or into the immediate areas around the group’s retail outlets may affect its earnings.
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 2 competitors of BreadTalk:
Brands that inspire customers to think differently
Modern People (Premium)
People who experience food; like customization and follow trends
Leading Asian F&B group.
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to BreadTalk. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute