Coal India Ltd SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of Coal India Ltd, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Coal India Ltd to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors, and make strategic improvements. Coal India Ltd is one of the leading brands in the heavy equipment & engineering sector.
The article below lists the Coal India Ltd SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Coal India Ltd SWOT Analysis:
In this article:
For Coal India Ltd, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Coal India Ltd looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Coal India Ltd :
1. CIL owns the world's largest recoverable coal reserves at more than 22bnt
2. Tie ups with shipping Corporation of India enables CIL to tap into the expertise of an experienced shipper while avoiding the vagaries of the spot market.
3. Strategic overseas venture secures its future position and energy requirements
4. Strong employee base with over 350,000 people in the organisation
5. Strong backing by the govt of India
6. The CIL is also recognized as a Maharatna Company in India
7. Excellent advertising and marketing in B2B as well as TVCs, print and online media
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Coal India Ltd SWOT Analysis:
1. State control reduces CIL's flexibility in responding to changes in the market.
2. Inefficient production from the company's coal blocks is causing supply problems in India's power sector.
3. Bound to supply domestic customers even at subsidized rates
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Coal India Ltd SWOT Analysis:
1. Major role to play in India’s aspiration regarding being energy sufficient country
2. Relatively low cost of production and large labor pool gives the opportunity to expand operations and efficiency
3. Efficiency in management and PPPs can boost company performance
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Coal India Ltd are as mentioned:
1. Project delays due to environmental and land issues pose threat to companies sustained future supplies
2. Policy uncertainty continues to be an issue. There is still a lack of clarity in the 26% profit sharing clause included in the mining bill
3. Foreign investment in mining sector
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 3 competitors of Coal India Ltd:
1. Ashapura Minechem
2. 20 Microns Ltd.
3. Aurome Coke Ltd.
Hence this concludes the Coal India Ltd SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
|Coal India Ltd Overview|
Public Sector- Government of India
Mining and minerals
Nurturing nature, empowering India, Enabling life
Largest company in the world in terms of coal production
|Coal India Ltd STP|
Coal and mining company in India
Firms across globe , cost conscious state and privately owned energy sector
Low cost coal producer
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Coal India Ltd. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us