Black & Decker SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of Black & Decker, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Black & Decker to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors, and make strategic improvements. Black & Decker is one of the leading brands in the industrial products and chemicals sector.
The article below lists the Black & Decker SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Black & Decker SWOT Analysis:
In this article:
For Black & Decker, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Black & Decker looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Black & Decker :
1. A strong brand name for industrial tools which has helped it in improving sales and revenues
2. Diversified business operations with presence in almost all types’ industrial equipment, power tools, hand tools, engineered fastening systems and related accessories
3. A wide range of product portfolio providing tools and solutions that make life easier
4. High emphasis on sustainability have driven revenue and operating income
5. The strategic acquisition of Jiangsu Guoqiang Tools (GQ) has given it a presence in mid-price point power tools in China for Asian and Southeast Asian markets expansion
6. A slowdown in GDP growth rates in various emerging markets around the world and the currency volatility, has not affected Black & Decker brand which has been growing organically at above-market
7. Over 25,000+ employees are a part of the organization
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Black & Decker SWOT Analysis:
1. High dependence on US market for revenues
2. Very high unfunded pension obligations which has led to degradation of credit ratings by agencies
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Black & Decker SWOT Analysis:
1. Potential to grow in markets outside US especially emerging markets
2. Growth potential of consumer electronic market
3. Acquisitions to expand into new product lines
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Black & Decker are as mentioned:
1. Growth of players in Professional power tool segment is a big threat since it has been unable to penetrate this market
2. Stringent environmental rules could hamper growth in the industrial equipment segment
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 3 competitors of Black & Decker:
1. Danaher Corporation
2. Ingersoll-Rand Company
3. Snap-On Incorporated
Hence this concludes the Black & Decker SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
|Black & Decker Overview|
Stanley Black & Decker, Inc.
Power tools, hand tools, engineered fastening systems and related accessories
Performance in Action
World’s largest producer of power tools and power tools accessories
|Black & Decker STP|
Construction and do-it-yourself (CDIY), Industrial and Security
Large business to small consumers
Building world-class franchises with sustainable strategic
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Black & Decker. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us