Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 26, 2020
SWOT analysis of WH Smith analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In WH Smith SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like WH Smith to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. WH Smith is one of the leading brands in the lifestyle and retail sector.
The table below lists the WH Smith SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats), top WH Smith competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & Unique Selling Proposition (USP).
More than 200 years old: First newsagent in the Smith family opened in 1792
WH Smith STP
Income, hobby, attitude
High income, reading, travelers
Being a responsible business is a high priority
SWOT Analysis of WH Smith
WH Smith Strengths
Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of WH Smith:
1. Prominent brand name: Presence in the category for more than 200 years 2. Strong distribution network: over 600 stores on the high street and over 600 stores at airports, train stations, etc 3. Meaty global presence: Beyond UK company also operates in Australia, South East Asia, India and Middle East 4. Strong online service: offers like deliver orders over £15 free to your address, etc
5. Generating awareness about environmental aspect of business thus increasing brand loyalty
6. Company is made up of two core businesses- Travel and High Street. This provides stability, since low performance by one can be compensated by other.
WH Smith Weaknesses
Here are the weaknesses in the WH Smith SWOT Analysis:
1. The travel business is impacted by geopolitical events, wars and acts of terrorism, etc. Thus resulting in generation of lower revenue during crisis 2. With increase awareness of online shopping, entry barrier in the business has decreased significantly
WH Smith Opportunities
Following are the Opportunities in WH Smith SWOT Analysis:
1. With experience of more than 200 years in the sector company can strengthen its position across the globe 2. Vertical Integration: Can develop its own branded magazines, entertainment products, etc
WH Smith Threats
The threats in the SWOT Analysis of WH Smith are as mentioned:
1. Long term economic slowdown can decrease the revenue significantly since consumer spending will reduce 2. High competition from both supermarkets and online retailers in the high-street segment 3. Growing awareness of E-books which are cheaper and easily available
WH Smith Competition
WH Smith Competitors
Below are the top 3 competitors of WH Smith:
1. Blackwell UK Limited 2. HMV Group plc 3. Amazon.co.uk Ltd
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Similar analysis has also been done for the competitors of the company belonging to the same category, sector or industry. Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to WH Smith. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute