Depth or in-depth interview is a qualitative research technique which is used to conduct intensive individual interviews where numbers of respondents are less and research is focused on a specific product, technique, situation or objective. Companies employ market research firms to employ In-depth interviews to understand consumer behavior for a new product or to expand sales of existing products.
• Advantages of In-depth interviews
- Comparatively much more detailed information than other data collection methods like surveys and focused group discussions.
- Provide much more relaxed information to collect information- people feel more comfortable in having a personal conversations rather than filling surveys.
• Limitations of In-depth interviews
- Responses are prone to bias. Responses are affected by the community members and other participants of the program.
- Interviews can be time intensive. Interviewer has to match with the availability of the interviewee.
- Interviewer must be appropriately trained for the interview techniques. The interviews have to be structured and thus need appropriate skills.
- Results cannot be generalized as the sample chosen is very small and hence random sampling methods are used.
• In-depth interview is a 6 step process:
ii. Instruments development
iii. Training of the data collectors or the interviewers
iv. Collection of data
v. Analyzing the collected data
vi. Reporting or disseminating the findings of the analyzed data
• Potential sources of information for data collection
i. Policy makers
ii. Project office
iii. Clinic staff
iv. Program participants/clients
v. Community members
Hence, this concludes the definition of Depth Interview along with its overview.
This article has been researched & authored by the Business Concepts Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse the definition and meaning of more similar terms. The Management Dictionary covers over 1800 business concepts from 5 categories.
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us