Training and Development - Definition, Importance, Process & Example
Published in Human Resources Terms by MBA Skool Team
What is Training and Development?
Training and Developmentis the continuous process of improving skills, gaining knowledge, clarifying concepts and changing attitude through structured and planned education by which the productivity and performance of the employees can be enhanced. Training and Development emphasize on the improvement of the performance of individuals as well as groups through a proper system within the organization which focuses on the skills, methodology and content required to achieve the objective. Good & efficient training of employees helps in their skills & knowledge development, which eventually helps a company improve its productivity leading to overall growth.
Training is about knowing where you are in the present and after some time where will you reach with your abilities. By training, people can learn new information, new methodology and refresh their existing knowledge and skills. Due to this there is much improvement and adds up the effectiveness at work. The motive behind giving the training is to create an impact that lasts beyond the end time of the training itself and employee gets updated with the new phenomenon. Training can be offered as skill development for individuals and groups.
Organizational Development is a process that “strives to build the capacity to achieve and sustain a new desired state that benefits the organization or community and the world around them.” (From the Organizational Development Network website).
Training and Development Process
Training and development is a continuous process as the skills, knowledge and quality of work needs constant improvement. Since businesses are changing rapidly, it is critical that companies focus on training their employees after constantly monitoring them & developing their overall personality.
Steps for training and development processes are:
1. Determine the need of training and development for individuals or teams
First of all the need has to be seen for training and development. it has to align with the company's goals and objectives.
If a company is trying to start a new department or strengthen existing sales team in new products, then an appropriate training is needed.
2. Establish specific objectives & goals which need to be achieved
The goals and objectives of the training and development have to be established. Whether the goal is awareness about new products or even installation is required to be learnt.
3. Select the methods of training
Next, methods have to be defined. The training can be done as a :
1. Classroom Training
2. Online Self paced courses
3. Course with certification
4. Instructor led online training
4. Conduct and implement the programs for employees
After the plan and methods are finalized, the training and development programs have to be executed where courses, instructions are taught to the employees, partners or vendors.
5. Evaluate the output and performance post the training and development sessions
Training and Development is incomplete without proper monitoring. Monitoring can be done through evaluation of the instructor as well as attendees. Instructor evaluation can be done through feedback or ratings but attendees can be evaluated through internal or external certifications or scores.
6. Keep monitoring and evaluating the performances and again see if more training is required
Based on the evaluation results in the previous step, management needs to ascertain that if the training and development program was sufficient for now or more training and enablement would be required. Also, if future trainings are to be planned.
For companies to keep improving, it is important for organizations to have continuous training and development programs for their employees. Competition and the business environment keeps changing, and hence it is critical to keep learning and pick up new skills. The importance of training and development is as follows:
1, Optimum utilization of resources
2. Development of skills like time management, leadership, team management etc.
3. To increase the performance, productivity and motivation
4. To imbibe the team spirit
5. For improvement of organization culture
6. To improve quality
7. To increase profitability and bottom line by acquiring new skills
8. Improving brand image by having well trained employees
Relation and Difference between Training and Development
There is a relation between training and development, and there is clear difference between the two based on goals to be achieved. Development is made to answer the training problems:
Training is meant for operatives
Development is meant for executives
It is reactive process
It is pro- active process
AIM: To develop additional skills
AIM: To develop the total personality
It is short term process
It is continuous process
OBJECTIVE: To meet the present need of an employee
OBJECTIVE: To meet the future need of an employee
Initiative is taken by the management
Initiative is taken by an individual.
Need for Training and Development
Training and development of employees is a costly activity as it requires a lot quality inputs from trainers as well as employees. But it is essential that the company revises its goals and efficiencies with the changing environment. Here are a few critical reasons why the company endorses training and development sessions.
When management thinks that there is a need to improve the performances of employees
To set up the benchmark of improvement so far in the performance improvement effort
3. Specific Role Requirement
To train about the specific job responsibility and skills like communication management, team management etc.
To test the new methodology for increasing the productivity
Advantages of training and development
Training and development has a cost attached to it. However, since it is beneficial for companies in the long run, they ensure employees are trained regularly. Some advantages are:
1. Helps employees develop new skills and increases their knowledge.
2. Improves efficiency and productivity of the individuals as well as the teams.
3. Proper training and development can remove bottle-necks in operations.
4. New & improved job positions can be created to make the organization leaner.
5. Keeps employees motivated and refreshes their goals, ambitions and contribution levels.
Disadvantages of training and development
Even though there are several advantages, some drawbacks of training and development are mentioned below:
1. It is an expensive process which includes arranging the correct trainers and engaging employees for non-revenue activities.
2. There is a risk that after the training and development session, the employee can quit the job.
Training and Development Example
Training and Development can be setup in any organization. The focus of the organization should be to train employees on two aspects
1. Job Related Skills
2. Soft Skills
These days there are dedicated portals and self learning courses for employees to enroll and take them as per their needs. A dedicated training department is setup in the organizations these days to train the employees on relevant skills.
E.g. Trainings on communication skills, project management skills, AI/ML and other emerging technologies and skills are priority of such departments.
also these departments have the following responsibilities like:
1. Tie up with training partners or create internal courses and study material
2. Create a simple portal and classroom training system for employees on site or remotely
3. System to track learning and design path for specific roles e.g. managers, sales team etc.
4. Evaluate employees on the trainings completed and reward them accordingly
Training and Development should be part of culture of any good organization and should be taken at a strategic level. In today's competitive landscape, proper training and development programs can go a long way in having the competitive edge.
Hence, this concludes the definition of Training and Development along with its overview.
This article has been researched & authored by the Business Concepts Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse the definition and meaning of more similar terms. The Management Dictionary covers over 1800 business concepts from 5 categories.