Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: May 26, 2020
What is Marketer?
:A marketer is a person whose duty is to identify goods & services desired by a set of customers, as well as marketing of those goods and services on behalf of the company. Marketer helps boost the sale of products and services which in turn boosts the revenue for the organization by creating effective marketing strategies.
Some of the jobs of marketer include setting goals, segmenting the target customer segment, studying the competition, addressing a target audience through modes of communication, nurturing the relationship with customers, creating content, budgets, setting priorities designing campaigns.
Types of Marketers
There are 6 types of marketers depending upon their role and area of expertise:
1. Brand Marketer: works on building a good brand name for the business. He ensures that a customer’s perceived value of the brand is optimal. He may make use of online and offline marketing for the purpose.
2. Product Marketer: is responsible for marketing the goods and services of a company by planning and launching marketing events, working with advertising firms to execute outbound marketing.
3. Content Marketer: is similar to inbound marketer but a little more specialized. Its job is to create high-quality content in a way that increases a company's searchability and online presence.
4. Inbound Marketer: is concerned with converting potential customers into paying customers by providing useful information in the form of templates, materials, e-books, blog posts to the target customer segment.
5. Social Media Marketer: specializes in managing various social accounts of the company, ensuring constant updates and implementing marketing strategies to acquire more followers.
6. Digital Marketer: deals with online aspects of marketing ranging from managing a company's social accounts, designing online marketing events to sending marketing emails to potential leads.
Importance of a Marketer
The financial success of any organization depends on marketing ability. Finance, operation and other business operations will not matter if there is not enough demand for its products and services which is taken care of by marketer. The more people know about a product or service, the more they are interested to buy it. They help to build brand equity using a combination of brand logo, icon, name, caption etc that people experience through online and offline channels.
Marketers help in improving the quality of life by spreading awareness among people of the organization’s products and services without which people may not know of the presence of particular products or services available in the market. They work on identifying the customer's needs, wants and demands. It is his identification of the market needs that lead to the innovation and introduction of thousands of new products and services In the market every now and then.
Responsibilities of a Marketer
Some of the main responsibilities of a marketer are:
1. Push sales
2. Introduce strategies
3. Find new markets
4. Grow the brand
5. Publicize the products / service
Good communication liaison between marketer and the customer at all times is the key to the success of the strategy. For marketers, understanding the needs and requirements of the customers is of the highest priority. It is important for them to understand the market and be prepared depending upon the customer requirements and the competitive scenario. The following to make business decisions:
1. Target Markets
6. Supporting Services
Advantages & Disadvantages of Marketer
1. They help in promoting the business. It helps to reach the right target customer group for the organization's products and services.
2. By increasing the visibility of the products and services in the market, a marketer helps to boost the revenues through the increased sale of its products and services.
1. A marketer may end up targeting a wrong audience or use a wrong marketing channel for the marketing of its product or services which may cost a lot to the organization.
2. The time spent in market research and development of marketing strategies is immense and is not bound to give a definite fruitful result as expected.
Example of Marketer
McDonald's is globally recognized by its arch design. Without telling its name, showing someone its logo is enough to get it identified. Its tagline “I’m Loving it” is well known and goes very well with the food variety it serves. Also, it is the marketers because of which Mcdonalds today is recognized as an eating outlet which is affordable by masses, neat and clean, has a good variety of food, has quick service and consistency in taste and serving.
This article has been researched & authored by the Business Concepts Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse the definition and meaning of more similar terms. The Management Dictionary covers over 2000 business concepts from 5 categories.