Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 12, 2020
SWOT analysis of Japan Airlines analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Japan Airlines SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Japan Airlines to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Japan Airlines is one of the leading brands in the airlines sector.
The article below lists the Japan Airlines SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Japan Airlines SWOT Analysis:
For Japan Airlines, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
Japan Airlines Strengths
The strengths of Japan Airlines looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Japan Airlines :
1. Japan Airlines is seeking an IPO listing becoming one of the biggest companies globally
2. Provides services to 220 destinations in 35 countries world wide and hence has a strong global presence 3. The airline and four of its subsidiaries cater to different customer segments from Leisure to cost conscious travelers 4. Carried over 50 million passengers annually
Japan Airlines Weaknesses
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Japan Airlines SWOT Analysis:
1. After filing for bankruptcy it had to cut its employee strength by one third of its total employees 2. Brand awareness and lesser than major global airlines 3. It has a complex business structure making it a bit difficult to quickly adapt to changes
Japan Airlines Opportunities
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Japan Airlines SWOT Analysis:
1. Growing airline passenger traffic in Asia-Pacific
2. Partnership with AEON 3. Increase service to more international destinations via codesharing agreements
Japan Airlines Threats
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Japan Airlines are as mentioned:
1. Recent Tsunami in Japan decreased the number air travels going in Japan drastically 2. Rising fuel cost and labor cost 3.Political tenses between Japan and China are making it difficult for Japan Airlines to fly over the East China sea
Japan Airlines Competitors
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 3 competitors of Japan Airlines:
One of the top largest airline in world and official sponsor of Japan's national football team
Japan Airlines STP
Leisure travelers / cost conscious travelers
Upper middle class / middle class
Value for money
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Japan Airlines. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute