Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 26, 2020
SWOT analysis of Northern Trust analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Northern Trust SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Northern Trust to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Northern Trust is one of the leading brands in the banking & financial services sector.
The table below lists the Northern Trust SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats), top Northern Trust competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & Unique Selling Proposition (USP).
leading provider of asset servicing, asset management, fiduciary, and banking solutions
SWOT Analysis of Northern Trust
Northern Trust Strengths
Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Northern Trust:
1. Developed a strong reputation of safety and has a vast client base 2. Oldest back of Chicago and has a reputation as an institution which is dependable 3. Has a conservative portfolio of assets which reduces the percentage of risky assets 4. Strong leadership team by attracting new talent and transforming existing leaders into new roles 5. Has over 13000 employees in over 17 countries
Northern Trust Weaknesses
Here are the weaknesses in the Northern Trust SWOT Analysis:
1. Lack of Client Diversity as it caters mainly to the needs of wealthy individuals and corporations 2. Participation in TARPexposes the firm to scrutiny from the government and as well as the public. 3. Involved in lawsuits regarding its securities lending programs
Northern Trust Opportunities
Following are the Opportunities in Northern Trust SWOT Analysis:
1. There is a scope for expansion as it is not present in all the domestic markets 2. Retirement of baby boomer population will require more investment services
3. Small financial institutions can be acquired to gain access to untapped markets
Northern Trust Threats
The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Northern Trust are as mentioned:
1. The potential default of any troubled European country may cause tremendous losses for all the banks present worldwide 2. More losses can be incurred if the US real estate prices fall
3. Increase in regulation after the 2008 crisis can lead to less returns as the banks are not allowed to involve in high risk portfolios
Northern Trust Competition
Northern Trust Competitors
Below are the top 3 competitors of Northern Trust:
1. JPMorgan Chase 2. State Street Corporation 3. The Bank of New York Mellon Corporation
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Similar analysis has also been done for the competitors of the company belonging to the same category, sector or industry. Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Northern Trust. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute