Northern Trust SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of Northern Trust, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
Northern Trust is one of the leading brands in the banking & financial services sector. The article below lists the Northern Trust SWOT and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP.
In this article:
For Northern Trust, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Northern Trust looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value.
A list of strengths is mostly the starting point in starting SWOT analysis. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Northern Trust :
1. Developed a strong reputation of safety and has a vast client base
2. Oldest back of Chicago and has a reputation as an institution which is dependable
3. Has a conservative portfolio of assets which reduces the percentage of risky assets
4. Strong leadership team by attracting new talent and transforming existing leaders into new roles
5. Has over 13000 employees in over 17 countries
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Northern Trust SWOT Analysis:
1. Lack of Client Diversity as it caters mainly to the needs of wealthy individuals and corporations
2. Participation in TARP exposes the firm to scrutiny from the government and as well as the public.
3. Involved in lawsuits regarding its securities lending programs
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Northern Trust SWOT Analysis:
1. There is a scope for expansion as it is not present in all the domestic markets
2. Retirement of baby boomer population will require more investment services
3. Small financial institutions can be acquired to gain access to untapped markets
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Northern Trust are as mentioned:
1. The potential default of any troubled European country may cause tremendous losses for all the banks present worldwide
2. More losses can be incurred if the US real estate prices fall
3. Increase in regulation after the 2008 crisis can lead to less returns as the banks are not allowed to involve in high risk portfolios
Hence this concludes the Northern Trust SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
|Northern Trust Overview|
Northern Trust Corporation
What really matters
Top 50 Safest Global Banks
|Northern Trust STP|
Segmentationation is done on the basis of income
Affluent individuals and large institutions
leading provider of asset servicing, asset management, fiduciary, and banking solutions
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Northern Trust. This section covers SWOT Analysis along with Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2000 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us