Commonwealth Bank SWOT Analysis, Competitors & USP
Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 26, 2020
SWOT analysis of Commonwealth Bank analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Commonwealth Bank SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Commonwealth Bank to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Commonwealth Bank is one of the leading brands in the banking & financial services sector.
The table below lists the Commonwealth Bank SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats), top Commonwealth Bank competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & Unique Selling Proposition (USP).
Approval of personal loans within the same working day.
Commonwealth Bank STP
Australian citizens and international clients
Australian citizens, international clients and businesses requiring banking services
A bank which provides services in a simple and effective manner.
SWOT Analysis of Commonwealth Bank
Commonwealth Bank Strengths
Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Commonwealth Bank:
1. The bank owns various brands such as Bankwest, ASB Bank, Commonwealth Securities Limited and Commonwealth Insurance Limited. 2. The bank has operations in various countries such as New Zealand, Fiji, USA and the United Kingdom 3. The bank is the one of largest Australian listed company on the Australian Securities Exchange.
4. The bank is one of the “Big four” Australian banks, in the same league as National Australian bank, Westpac and ANZ.
5. The bank provides services such as Insurance, Consumer banking, Corporate banking, Investment banking, Global wealth management, Private equity, Mortgages, Credit cards
6. The bank has a strong revenue and increasing profit
7. The bank employs over 44,000 employees . The bank is the only financial services organisation to appear in the Dream Employers' top 20 list of preferred employers
Commonwealth Bank Weaknesses
Here are the weaknesses in the Commonwealth Bank SWOT Analysis:
1. The bank was involved in controversies which was started by a action group and website called “Unhappy Banking” 2. The financial strength rating by Moody’s provided for the Commonwealth bank is B- 3.The bank sees a loan impairment expense which is a concern
Commonwealth Bank Opportunities
Following are the Opportunities in Commonwealth Bank SWOT Analysis:
1. Implementation of technology into the core banking activities will help the bank to increase its quality of services and hence increase its reach. 2.Initiatives such as “One Commbank” helps build relationships with customers which is very important for sustained growth
3. Expansion of activities in Asia and other emerging markets can help the bank to have long term growth.
Commonwealth Bank Threats
The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Commonwealth Bank are as mentioned:
1. The banks activities and profits are affected by the investor confidence in the global economy. A weak economic outlook can lead to stagnation or decline in growth. 2. The bank can face risk due to changes in foreign exchange rates as it has operation based on various geographies. 3. The bank can face default risk due to counter party not being able to meet their obligations influx
Commonwealth Bank Competition
Commonwealth Bank Competitors
Below are the top 3 competitors of Commonwealth Bank:
1. National Australian bank 2. Westpac 3. ANZ
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Similar analysis has also been done for the competitors of the company belonging to the same category, sector or industry. Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Commonwealth Bank. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute