The Co-operative Bank SWOT Analysis, Competitors & USP
Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 26, 2020
SWOT analysis of The Co-operative Bank analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In The Co-operative Bank SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like The Co-operative Bank to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. The Co-operative Bank is one of the leading brands in the banking & financial services sector.
The table below lists the The Co-operative Bank SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats), top The Co-operative Bank competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & Unique Selling Proposition (USP).
The Co-operative Bank SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning, USP & Brand Analysis Table
British individuals in need for financial services.
The bank positions itself as a ethical bank.
SWOT Analysis of The Co-operative Bank
The Co-operative Bank Strengths
Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of The Co-operative Bank:
1. The bank has a ethical policy which prevents it from investing in companies involved in arms trade, genetic engineering, fossil fuel extraction etc. The ethical policy is part of the banks constitution.
2. Smile, the internet-only operation of the bank is among one of the top rated services in UK by consumers 3. The bank offers a variety of retail banking services such as current accounts, mortgages, loans, credit cards, investments etc. 4. The bank caters to a wide customer base including individuals, businessmen, corporate customers etc.
5. The bank provides its customers with latest facilities like internet banking facility and mobile banking facility.
The Co-operative Bank Weaknesses
Here are the weaknesses in the The Co-operative Bank SWOT Analysis:
1. The bank had to face a severe financial crisis which saw it being taken over by US hedge funds. 2. Moody’s downgraded its credit rating by 6 notches to junk category 3. The bank has recently closed a lot of its branches and also terminated its off shore activities.
The Co-operative Bank Opportunities
Following are the Opportunities in The Co-operative Bank SWOT Analysis:
1. The bank has come up with schemes such as the “Golden Hello” to win back customers after its 2013 financial crisis.
2. The bank should introduce new products and schemes to bring in new customers. It should also build relationships with existing customers to retain them. 3. The bank should come up with better governance and be more transparent, in order to restore customer confidence in the processes of the bank.
The Co-operative Bank Threats
The threats in the SWOT Analysis of The Co-operative Bank are as mentioned:
1. A more robust accounting system needs to be put in place. It was found that the bank had a hole in its finances. Such scandals can erode customer confidence in the bank. 2. Default risk which is the risk that the bank may run into losses due to the counter party defaulting on their liabilities. 3. A bad economic outlook can cause serious damage to the financial situation of the bank.
4. The bank faces threat of running out of capital to run its day to day business due to the severe financial crisis it is going through.
The Co-operative Bank Competition
The Co-operative Bank Competitors
Below are the top 3 competitors of The Co-operative Bank:
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Similar analysis has also been done for the competitors of the company belonging to the same category, sector or industry. Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to The Co-operative Bank. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute