Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 12, 2020
SWOT analysis of AGL Energy analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In AGL Energy SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like AGL Energy to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. AGL Energy is one of the leading brands in the energy & power sector.
The article below lists the AGL Energy SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the AGL Energy SWOT Analysis:
For AGL Energy, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
AGL Energy Strengths
The strengths of AGL Energy looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of AGL Energy :
1. Operates in Australia, serves over 6 million+ customers 2. Generating capacity is 5000 MW – mostly of gas and coal powered plants, but also has wind, solar and hydro power plants. Largest retailer of Renewable power is Australia
3. Has strong market presence and is a vertically integrated company – has gas powered plants and is also involved in natural gas generation. Present in all parts of the Energy value chain. 4.Features in the ASX stock index of the top 50 Australian companies with a strong market capitalization
5. Strong presence across the country
AGL Energy Weaknesses
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the AGL Energy SWOT Analysis:
1.It is present in Australia only
2. Govt interference often affects the operational efficiency of the company
AGL Energy Opportunities
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in AGL Energy SWOT Analysis:
1.Opportunities in South Asian Countries
2. Potential to expand renewable energy portfolio
3. High demand for power in Australia
AGL Energy Threats
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of AGL Energy are as mentioned:
1.Fall in Electricity prices would lead to lower profits
2.Presence of much larger companies – specially Chinese – may be an entry barrier in Asian markets
3. Consolidation of power industry in Australia
4. Rise in prices of coal would hamper profitability as close to half of installed capacity is coal based.
AGL Energy Competitors
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 3 competitors of AGL Energy:
Largest retailer of gas and Electricity in Australia
AGL Energy STP
Industries, Big cities, Ports etc looking to electrical utlities solution
Industries, corporates, individuals
Leading power company in Australia
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to AGL Energy. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute