Tim Hortons SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of Tim Hortons, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
Tim Hortons is one of the leading brands in the food & beverages sector. The article below lists the Tim Hortons SWOT and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP.
In this article:
For Tim Hortons, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Tim Hortons looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value.
A list of strengths is mostly the starting point in starting SWOT analysis. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Tim Hortons :
1. It is Canada's largest fast food service with over 100,000 employees
2. It had 4,500+ restaurants in Canada, 800 in the United States
3. It was founded in 1964 and has enjoyed a strong brand image
4. Tim Hortons commands majority of the Canadian market for baked goods and holds major of the Canadian coffee market
5. It has been purchased by Burger King in this August 2014 and they now are the third-largest operator of fast food restaurants in the world
6. Nutritional information on most of its menu items is made available by the company in a two-page brochure and is available online
7. Canadian Business magazine has twice named Tim Hortons as the best-managed brand in Canada
8. It also promotes itself through the Tim Horton Children's Foundation
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Tim Hortons SWOT Analysis:
1. It announced closing many stores in the north eastern US due to high competition
2. According to the blog Coffee and Conversation, "Tim Hortons does not sell organic coffee, does not sell Fair trade coffee, and does not disclose the source of its green beans"
3. Does not cater to the health conscious segment
Read more about Tim Hortons
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Tim Hortons SWOT Analysis:
1. Venture into newer markets
2. Introduce more options on its menu
3. The brand can leverage its existing image and increase its popularity through marketing exercises
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Tim Hortons are as mentioned:
1. Growing Health conscious segment
2. Presence of strong competitors in this segment
3. Increasing competition and higher costs of raw materials
Read Similar SWOT analysis
Hence this concludes the Tim Hortons SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
|Tim Hortons Overview|
It's Time for Tims
Its known for its coffee and doughnuts
|Tim Hortons STP|
Food & beverage restaurants
Children and Youth from middle and upper middle class
To serve customers delicious items at an amazing value
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Tim Hortons. This section covers SWOT Analysis along with Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2000 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us