Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 12, 2020
SWOT analysis of General Dynamics analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In General Dynamics SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like General Dynamics to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. General Dynamics is one of the leading brands in the industrial products and chemicals sector.
The article below lists the General Dynamics SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the General Dynamics SWOT Analysis:
For General Dynamics, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
General Dynamics Strengths
The strengths of General Dynamics looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of General Dynamics :
1. Strong relationship with the US government which helps it in getting major defense contracts 2. Broad product portfolio (Marine Systems; Combat Systems; Information Systems and Technology; and Aerospace) and balanced revenue streams sector 3. Has grown both organically and inorganically (acquisitions and mergers) with time 4. High focus on Research & Development which is critical in defense
5. Nearly 100,000 employees worldwide with strong revenues
6. General Dynamics entry into the Healthcare solutions will help it expand its top-line
7. One of the world’s largest defense contractors
General Dynamics Weaknesses
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the General Dynamics SWOT Analysis:
1. US government contracts form the majority of its revenues 2. Highly competitive market means limited market share
General Dynamics Opportunities
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in General Dynamics SWOT Analysis:
1. Growing global market for defense and aerospace, especially China and India
2. Defense spending has increased in the US and the world
3. Highest order backlog since 2008 and backlog orders simply need to be fulfilled
General Dynamics Threats
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of General Dynamics are as mentioned:
1. Government lawsuit & future regulations can disrupt its revenue stream 2. Potential decreases in US government spending will have a major impact on its revenues 3. Impact of Cyber security disruptions is unknown at this time
4. Due to lower remuneration as compared to competitors, employee retention & availability
General Dynamics Competitors
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 3 competitors of General Dynamics:
1. The Boeing Company 2. Lockheed Martin Corporation 3. L-3 Communications Holdings, Inc.
Hence this concludes the General Dynamics SWOT analysis.
Marine Systems; Combat Systems; Information Systems and Technology; and Aerospace
Military, other government and commercial customers
Delivering superior products and services to military, other government and commercial customers
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to General Dynamics. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute