Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 12, 2020
SWOT analysis of PPG Industries analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In PPG Industries SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like PPG Industries to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. PPG Industries is one of the leading brands in the industrial products and chemicals sector.
The article below lists the PPG Industries SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the PPG Industries SWOT Analysis:
For PPG Industries, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
PPG Industries Strengths
The strengths of PPG Industries looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of PPG Industries :
1. PPG Industries is a leader in Coating solution technology as it operates and has manufacturing facilities in more than 60 countries around the globe. 2. They are efficient manufacturers and operate on latest technologies. 3. They are into diverse businesses hence helps them grow better. 4. It has established good JV with national brands in many countries, like its JV with Asian Paints and hence has made a conscious effort to grow in emerging economies
5. Strong brand reputation and consistent financial performance
PPG Industries Weaknesses
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the PPG Industries SWOT Analysis:
1.In decorative paints Industry Customer tastes and perceptions change very fast and products may become obsolete with change in trends, hence production planning and inventory problem
2. Presence of intense competition means stagnation of market share
PPG Industries Opportunities
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in PPG Industries SWOT Analysis:
1. Its ability to innovate and do R&D provides them an opportunity in developing eco-friendly products which are seen as products for the future with environmental regulation policies becoming stringent 2. Acquisitions and partnerships with firms in other developing nations can pave pathway for them to enter there.
3. More penetration in emerging economies to increase brand reach and availability
PPG Industries Threats
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of PPG Industries are as mentioned:
1. Volatility in raw material prices 2. Global economy is sluggish especially US is still vulnerable to another recession 3. Stringent Government rules and regulations regarding the quality of products and manufacturing facilities as Environment policies are being given more emphasis.
PPG Industries Competitors
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 4 competitors of PPG Industries:
Using breakthrough technologies to develop products and services that work together to deliver value
PPG Industries STP
Performance Coatings, Industrial Coatings and Architectural Coatings
Aerospace, Automobile industry, Marine, Oil and gas, power industries
Cutting edge technology in industrial paints segment, high performance coatings.
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to PPG Industries. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute