Yves Saint Laurent SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of Yves Saint Laurent, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Yves Saint Laurent to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors, and make strategic improvements. Yves Saint Laurent is one of the leading brands in the lifestyle and retail sector.
The article below lists the Yves Saint Laurent SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Yves Saint Laurent SWOT Analysis:
In this article:
For Yves Saint Laurent, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Yves Saint Laurent looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Yves Saint Laurent :
1. Strong brand presence with over 70 stores spread across 3 continents and in more than 10 countries at important locations.
2. The brand has a long history and is considered to be the reviver of couture which had lost its glory.
3. The brand has diversified into various product categories like footwear, accessories like handbags which have developed their own identity with the brand.
4. The acquisition of the fashion house by the Gucci group, a premier group in the fashion industry has rendered stability to the brand which was once on the verge of being shut out.
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Yves Saint Laurent SWOT Analysis:
1. The brand has not used its logo on their products which has affected the identifiably of the brand unlike its other competitors.
2. The brand is undergoing a transition stage with its creative director fired after allegations of flouting norms.
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Yves Saint Laurent SWOT Analysis:
1. The brand can expand into Asia where a lot of emerging markets are sprawling for luxury goods.
2. The brand can revive its vintage collection which has a classic appeal and more depth in design than its competitors.
3. The brand can also look at undertaking green initiatives and CSR activities to give a new dimension to the brand identity.
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Yves Saint Laurent are as mentioned:
1. YSL is catering to a luxury market where there a few customers for luxury and no dearth of suppliers.
2. The brand can also feel the heat of recession in European and American markets, its main revenue centers.
3. The brand face intense competition from Gucci, its parent company which is a more identifiable brand.
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 2 competitors of Yves Saint Laurent:
2. Louis Vuitton
Hence this concludes the Yves Saint Laurent SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
|Yves Saint Laurent Overview|
Apparel and Accessories
Pioneer of designer wear
|Yves Saint Laurent STP|
Urban upper class men and women
High fashion conscious men and women in the age group of 25-45
Exclusive designer wear
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Yves Saint Laurent. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us