Macy's SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of Macy's, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Macy's to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors, and make strategic improvements. Macy's is one of the leading brands in the lifestyle and retail sector.
The article below lists the Macy's SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Macy's SWOT Analysis:
In this article:
For Macy's, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Macy's looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Macy's :
1. Macy's operates more than 600 stores in the United States
2. Macy's has a large portfolio of private brands as well as other brands
3. Diversity of its merchandise includes clothing, footwear, furniture, jewelery etc
4. Macy's exports goods and has shipment done to over 100 countries
5. It is a popular brand with a good recall and quality service
6. The brand has a strong workforce of over 100,000 employees
7. Acquisition of companies has strengthened its market position
8. Apart from USA, Macy's has its operations in Guam & Puerto Rico
9. The company has an annual revenue exceeding $20 billion globally
10. Macy's has been recognized as one of the leading retain chains by the likes of Fortune 500
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Macy's SWOT Analysis:
1. Limited global awareness of Macy's as compared to industry leaders
2. Market share growth is limited owing to intense competition
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Macy's SWOT Analysis:
1. Promoting important environmental causes
2. Macy's can provide unconventional goods to customers and can diversify its product offerings
3. Company can focus organic and inorganic growth abroad
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Macy's are as mentioned:
1. Increasing competition from bigger retail chains can disrupt its business
2. Customers using ecommerce platforms can reduce the business of Macy's
3. Unfavorable economic conditions and government policies can affect business operations
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 10 competitors of Macy's:
2. Coles Group
7. Sams Club
8. JC Penney
Hence this concludes the Macy's SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
The magic of Macy’s
Macys is a mid-range chain of department stores
Middle class people buying life style product in US
Middle and upper middle class individuals
Macys is positioned as a retail chain of mid range department stores
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Macy's. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us