Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 12, 2020
SWOT analysis of Discovery Communications analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Discovery Communications SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Discovery Communications to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Discovery Communications is one of the leading brands in the media & entertainment sector.
The article below lists the Discovery Communications SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats), top Discovery Communications competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & Unique Selling Proposition (USP).
Explore Your World; There's no thrill like discovery; The World is Just...Awesome; Let's All Discover, Why No Myth Is Safe
Highly educational channel
Discovery Communications STP
Segmentationing based on type of shows in television and internet
Across educational segments of entertainment
High quality educational shows
SWOT Analysis of Discovery Communications
For Discovery Communications, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position. Let us start the Discovery Communications SWOT Analysis:
Discovery Communications Strengths
The strengths of Discovery Communications looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Discovery Communications :
1. Broad diversification across the globe in over 180 countries
2. Loyal customers who have an inclination towards
3. Market share leadership
4. Diversified offerings and programs for attracting target audience
5. Farsighted technological focus
6. Discovery’s strength is its talent pool and workforce
7. The company has stayed ahead of the curve technologically by connecting its cable content to its Internet content and investing heavily in digital cable
8. Has over 1.5 billion subscribers and over 100 channels
Discovery Communications Weaknesses
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Discovery Communications SWOT Analysis:
1. Limited target audience as there are a lot of options for the customers to choose from ie brand switching is high
2. While Discovery’s focus on digital cable will eventually pay off, as it is the inevitable future of broadcasting, it has also been expensive. Digital Cable is growing at a much slower pace than expected
Discovery Communications Opportunities
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Discovery Communications SWOT Analysis:
1. More Online penetration would enhance reach and brand image
2. Product and services expansion
3. Discovery has cornered the educational media market. There is very little educational content on cable television, with reality shows and sitcoms bringing in the largest audiences
Discovery Communications Threats
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Discovery Communications are as mentioned:
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Similar analysis has also been done for the competitors of the company belonging to the same category, sector or industry. Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Discovery Communications. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute