Discovery Communications SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of Discovery Communications, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
Discovery Communications is one of the leading brands in the media & entertainment sector. The article below lists the Discovery Communications SWOT and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP.
In this article:
Let us start the SWOT Analysis below:
The strengths of Discovery Communications looks at the key internal factors of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market and strengthens its position.
A list of strengths is mostly the starting point in a SWOT analysis. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Discovery Communications :
1. Broad diversification across the globe in over 180 countries
2. Loyal customers who have an inclination towards
3. Market share leadership
4. Diversified offerings and programs for attracting target audience
5. Farsighted technological focus
6. Discovery’s strength is its talent pool and workforce
7. The company has stayed ahead of the curve technologically by connecting its cable content to its Internet content and investing heavily in digital cable
8. Has over 1.5 billion subscribers and over 100 channels
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which it can improve. Here are the weaknesses in the Discovery Communications SWOT Analysis:
1. Limited target audience as there are a lot of options for the customers to choose from ie brand switching is high
2. While Discovery’s focus on digital cable will eventually pay off, as it is the inevitable future of broadcasting, it has also been expensive. Digital Cable is growing at a much slower pace than expected
The opportunities for any brand can include prospects of future growth. Following are the opportunities in Discovery Communications SWOT Analysis:
1. More Online penetration would enhance reach and brand image
2. Product and services expansion
3. Discovery has cornered the educational media market. There is very little educational content on cable television, with reality shows and sitcoms bringing in the largest audiences
The threats for any business can be external factors which can negatively impact its business. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Discovery Communications are as mentioned:
2 External changes (government, politics, taxes, etc)
3 Maturing categories, products, or services
4 Discovery is no longer the only provider of streaming content online
5 Because Discovery focuses on educational entertainment, much of their content appeals to educational institutions
Read Similar SWOT analysis
Hence this concludes the Discovery Communications SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
About Discovery Communications
|Discovery Communications Overview|
Television channels and broadcasting
Explore Your World; There's no thrill like discovery; The World is Just...Awesome; Let's All Discover, Why No Myth Is Safe
Highly educational channel
|Discovery Communications STP|
Segmentationing based on type of shows in television and internet
Across educational segments of entertainment
High quality educational shows
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Discovery Communications. This section covers SWOT Analysis along with Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2000 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us