United Parcel Service (UPS) SWOT Analysis, Competitors & USP
Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: August 31, 2021
SWOT analysis of United Parcel Service (UPS) analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In United Parcel Service (UPS) SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like United Parcel Service (UPS) to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. United Parcel Service (UPS) is one of the leading brands in the transport and logistics sector.
The article below lists the United Parcel Service (UPS) SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the United Parcel Service (UPS) SWOT Analysis:
For United Parcel Service (UPS), SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
United Parcel Service (UPS) Strengths
The strengths of United Parcel Service (UPS) looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of United Parcel Service (UPS) :
1. United Parcel Service, known as UPS, is one of the world's largest supply chain, logistics, shipping & delivery company
2. UPS offers courier services via shipping, ground services and airway shipping
3. The company has a strong legacy in this sector since its inception in 1907
4. UPS has an annual revenue of around $80 billion
5. The company has more than 400,000 employees worldwide
6. United Parcel Services has invested in clean energy services like electric cars & vans
7. The company's fleet of transport includes cars, vans, trucks, bicycles, planes, drones etc.
8. United Parcel Service uses TV commercials, online ads, digital marketing, social media etc. to spread awareness
United Parcel Service (UPS) Weaknesses
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the United Parcel Service (UPS) SWOT Analysis:
1. Since UPS is present globally, it is vulnerable to lawsuits & policies of that country
2. Market share growth is limited due to intense competition
United Parcel Service (UPS) Opportunities
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in United Parcel Service (UPS) SWOT Analysis:
1. Build a more comprehensive domestic network in all countries they are present in
2. UPS can grow via mergers and acquisitions of smaller companies
3. Tie-up with ecommerce startups & enterprises to increase their business
United Parcel Service (UPS) Threats
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of United Parcel Service (UPS) are as mentioned:
1. Economic recession, higher fuel prices & changing global policies could impact the profit of United Parcel Services
2. Varying market demand can lead to seasonality or loss in business
3. Increasing reach of major competitors can affect business margins
United Parcel Service (UPS) Competitors
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 9 competitors of United Parcel Service (UPS):
What Can Brown Do For You?; Worldwide Delivery Service; We run the tightest ship in the shipping business
Use of Continuous Descent Approach (CDA) to save fuel
United Parcel Service (UPS) STP
Business/companies that want to ship export packages nationally
Shipping envelopes and packages; anyone around the world who wants to ship an envelope or package
World’s most admired mail, package & freight delivery company
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to United Parcel Service (UPS). This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute