Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 12, 2020
SWOT analysis of British Airways analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In British Airways SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like British Airways to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. British Airways is one of the leading brands in the airlines sector.
The article below lists the British Airways SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats), top British Airways competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & Unique Selling Proposition (USP).
To fly. To serve. The world's favourite airline; Upgrade to British Airways
British Airways is a premium airline based out of UK catering the world
British Airways STP
Passengers Preferring Comfort / reliability in air travel
Corporates / Upper Middle Class / Middle Class
British Airways is a premium international UK based airline serving customers globally
SWOT Analysis of British Airways
For British Airways, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position. Let us start the British Airways SWOT Analysis:
British Airways Strengths
The strengths of British Airways looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of British Airways :
1. Strong Backing of UK Govt makes British Airways a strong player 2. Strong Hub in England gives access to Europe
3. British Airways has a substantial brand presence and excellent global presence
4. It has a fleet size of over 260 aircrafts
5. British Airways has nearly 150 international destinations across 6 continents
6. Excellent marketing and advertising of the airline across the world
7. British Airways has several services like business/ first class, lounge, in flight entertainment, loyalty programs etc
8. Sponsorship of events like Olympics, Wimbledon etc give huge boost to the British Airways brand
British Airways Weaknesses
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the British Airways SWOT Analysis:
1. Severe Competition from other leading airlines on all routes
2. Intense competition means limited market share for British Airways
British Airways Opportunities
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in British Airways SWOT Analysis:
1. The Heathrow Terminal is a major hub across the world and British Airways has a major presence here
2. Expanding its global operations to newer territories and regions
3. Alliances and code sharing with other global airlines can boost British Airways's business
British Airways Threats
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of British Airways are as mentioned:
1. Rising Fuel costs can reduce profit margins 2. Rising labour costs 3. Increasing competition in European market can adversely effect the market share of British Airways
British Airways Competitors
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 13 competitors of British Airways:
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Similar analysis has also been done for the competitors of the company belonging to the same category, sector or industry. Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to British Airways. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute